1. Click here to join our community discord server.

PR Tank Rush?

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by Afroassassainx, Jan 30, 2012.

1. longjohn

longjohn Member

this looks amazingly fun, and this would make a great event as well. either by timing or just by completing it.
    This reminds of conc maps on classic tfc, anybody ever heard of it? it looks something like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_qqFQF2p4M
    good old days! (this took a lot of practice)

oh and I like to add during tank rush you shouldn't be allowed being para tank, since they're un-killable on VS servers.

2. oakgyrl510

oakgyrl510 Junior Member

if everyone was a tank on the infected side, no more bitchin about only low level getting tank and not passin it. lol

ive seen it on other servers. its fun. however, they couldnt pick themselves up and no medkits/defibs, only random adrenaline along the way to help out.

3. Zero

Zero MG Donor

Well no one is obligated to pass the tank , even if they are low level they don't have to pass it when a high level tells them to...now if they do want to pass it that's fine ,as long as they don't pass when they are about to die.

4. its would be awesome, but in tank rush tanks should be like 8-10 k hp without buying heal and regenration with respawn time 20 sec, then there will be no problem with tanks bocking ladder.

5. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

That would require static vector coordinate collision detection. That can't be made with a Pawn plugin, but you could possibly do that with a C++ extension. You know, that's not a bad idea. I could make an extension for that and make it global on all servers. Idk, only if it's really necessary.

6. Ping

Ping Guest

Ha, maps like no mercy would be awful for survivors, a tank blocking the door guarded by lots of other tanks would be impossible to get through... especially with all the small doorways

:P

7. longjohn

longjohn Member

if survivors can pass through tanks, then how will the tank hit them? all I have to do is run circles around the tank, and when I see him swing I will run through him? or am I just going to keep run through him til it confuses him further more?

this is actually bad idea, but if this would only be turned on when tank rush is enabled I wouldn't mind this, but it shouldn't enabled for normal gameplay.

Tank rush is good idea but it might require custom map since the current maps weren't designed for this type of thing. And since we talking about custom things, where are the flamethrowers!? always wanted one in this game, or just newer weapons in general. :D

8. lukemurawski

Nope. A tank attack is normalized swing calculation, which is different than any CBasePlayer<->Entity or CBasePlayer<-> : public CBasePlayer inheritance. In other words, a tank swing is calculated differently than a dynamic collision hull.

In effect, tank swings will hit you, and you will be able to run through them as well. Now, that would suck because now tanks can't block doors or ladders. By making sure the player (!Is on ground && !Is in water) and then disabling dynamic hull for tanks that way will enable tanks to retain their solid physical properties until someone is on a ladder, fixing most of the issues. The only problem now is that anytime someone is on a ladder, every tank loses its collision properties. Not that it's a big problem anyway.

Note that tanks will never lose their swinging collision in this approach.

9. Traxx

Traxx MG Donor

Tank can't block because they will spawn 20 secs or 30 after survivors are out of saferoom and they should spawn behind.

10. longjohn

longjohn Member

didn't know that, but I still feel this sort of thing should only be enabled for tank rush. As for normal gameplay, it can ruin the whole point of having a tank. Although tanks on ladders is an actual problem since you can't just crawl through them, for this problem something has to be done.

11. lukemurawski

My description above in plain English: You can go up ladders without getting blocked by a tank, and you can't run through them, and you can get hit by them. I should speak more English and less programming logic when I'm on this forum...

12. Ping

Ping Guest

As the present tense i am assuming in-game you cannot get blocked by ladders with a tank being on top at this moment.. at the time of writing you can't go up a ladder when the tank is blocking it... you just get stuck there... unless your talking about the future, then it would be You will be able to... but I'm sure you know good english :X

13. lukemurawski

Actually, it was an implied future tense in present tense form :) The net effect of the programming logic would lead to my previous post.

In other words, post #51 would be true if I made that extension. As of right now, if you climb up a ladder with a tank on top, you get your sorry ass blocked ;) For some reason, every time i play l4d2, some tank is always blocking me.

14. Zsoka

Zsoka Senior Member

15. Angel

Angel MG Donor

16. Ping

Ping Guest

17. szSteam_76561198049914430

szSteam_76561198049914430 Last Online: 39 hrs, 42 mins ago

i bet he could escape if there was no pathing =p , anyways it was very funny , i have like 10 picks of he running on circles and all the tanks behind he.

18. Ping

Ping Guest

Admins need to do tank rush more often :p

19. Pessego

Pessego Guest

Agreed.
    Though I still think pingz is the PRO when it comes to tank rush.

20. lukemurawski

I suppose I could hold a tank rush event in the near future (perhaps this weekend).

Suggest a time if interested. Also let me know if you would like to see any of the PRev tanks in there after you have fun with PR. I might show off L4D2: DC too, but most likely not.