1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Global Chat

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by TastyFish, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguin

Penguin Guest

Im going to agree with maybe restricting it to donors would be a good idea. At least this way not everyone can use it and you never know in the process it may get the community a few more donors :P

2. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

Some of the suggestions noted are a great start. I was not intending to say get rid of it entirely. Merely how can we make it more effective for the people that use it for a good purpose and for less manipulative reasons (i.e.: spamming).

The quick fix would be to reprimand the two abusing it the most to set an example. I doubt we would see any abuse after that.

3. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

Me and Erik spoke of potential ways to fix this last night and the only reasonable conclusion I could see was to make it a donor function. It would be a shame to remove it entirely and also restrict it to admin only.

4. I think global chat is a fantastic idea, I think communications is a fantastic idea and the system in place currently that allows all players across all servers to communicate is the best thing to happen since sliced bread. I have only seen one time where global chat has gotten out of hand, but not as many times as 'OP' deems it is. There is spam and there is general discussion(chat), I know when I enter any server for the first time of the day I send out a global message greeting all the players with a 'Hi' or 'Hello'. I rarely; but still do send out a message saying the recruitment status of my team currently but I don't abuse it. Just like once a week during prime when all the servers are filled. Restricting it to donor would be just silly in my opinion(I am a donor, and I think it's silly). If that is the case maybe make 'clan' chat accessible across servers at least. Is it so hard to just ignore chat box?

Not nit-picking just tossing, my 2

5. sk3ith90

sk3ith90 Member

hmmmm~ no other way beside make it for donor function??
    so if the annoying person buy a donor then spam again in global chat, ban??

i disagree to makes it for donor only~ :) its GLOBAL chat not a DONOR chat.... :P

6. JKG Krazie

JKG Krazie MG Donor

I think they should put a time limit on the post Like example:
    (Global)[PR]Krazie |KFC| :Join PR COOP or PR VS.
    Please wait another 10min before posting on the global chat

7. erik

erik MG Donor

[QUOTE='=]FSB[=????????

8. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

There was an incident today where I encountered a player on HI using it and they didn't actually know it was broadcast to ALL servers. They had the feeling they could use it as a dead player to communicate with alive players (this works, but is basically cheating and bannable, although I didn't take action in this instance). Once I told them, they stopped and were very remorseful. Since a lot of our HI players are new to MG, educating them on this command is better than punishing them immediately.

Like erik says, only use it to try and populate your server or call for an admin. The timeout/fatigue is a great option.

9. Ampelius

Ampelius MG Donor

Maybe try displaying chat messages like "Abusing of the Global Chat feature may result in a temporary ban." in all servers and implement a ten-minute interval for sending global messages.

10. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

[QUOTE='=]FSB[=????????

11. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

Just start handing out bans for the abusers. In all the time I've been playing here, I've never seen anyone get so frustrated about the global abuse. Handing out bans will show it's annoying other players and should only be used, as said, to populate a server or request an admin.

Solved.

/thread

12. britishgamerni

britishgamerni MG Donor

13. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

14. JavCube

JavCube MG Donor

That was a lot to read...

I'm actually partially against the Global Chat, but sure must be restricted to Admins and reliable ppl (sometimes even the donors aren't ok)... I even have one or two screenshots of this.

If a admin is not on the server you can have an command available to donors (maybe !admin), don't know if we have that, to alert admins on connected to other servers to talk to them. And then the admin be responsible to do a Global Chat (like "players needed on HI Server/CA COOP!! come on and join if you want!").

And if you want to contact a friend, thats why steam chat is for.

:D

15. Rivion

Rivion MG Donor

To be fair. I have used global from time to time. And I play a lot (perhaps too much). But the whole "spamming" thing is a large word for it.
    If it is people spamming, you can ban those people for days on end if you want.
    Just do not ban them from the game, but from global chat. Then you can give Azure, Titanium, me or whoever a week-ban.

Although I must admit that personally I think you are making it a bigger thing than it is.

Then again, I have been known to be wrong at least thrice in my life.

16. I don't think you are being wrong this time my friend. Today

I got on for the first time as stated, we were trying to get a VS PR going on EU, sent a message out to global chat saying we needed to get players in the server(two messages). 20 minutes later my finger slipped on my keybind that global chats my 'We are recruiting message'.

Someone from the [Firehawks] team tried telling Honorcode that I was spamming.

I don't think people know what spam actually means. This word is too loosely thrown around and I think people should stop bitching about it because the idea of spam is more annoying than the idea of global chat its self.

17. ChooChoo

ChooChoo Head Administrator Staff Member

I think global chat gets overused. People need to tone it down a little bit.

I see it irritating the players, and the admins. o:

18. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

[QUOTE='=]FSB[=????????

19. Penguin

Penguin Guest

[QUOTE='=]FSB[=????????

20. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Close the thread before it starts a flame war. Issue is resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.