1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Global Chat

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by TastyFish, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

There has been an increase in users talking over Global Chat in the games. People would be in VI or HI and spam nonsense. This is getting VERY annoying as I do communicate with teammates via chatbox in some cases. Not sure why the ones with higher powers think it's cool all of a sudden to do this.

Not sure how to say this, but please stop abusing the global chat if it's not meant for actual server announcements. I'm tired of having to PM Erik to look into it.

2. I noticed that as well. Thanks for bringing that up, Fish.
    Not sure why players feel it is necessary to invade the chat box and let everyone in different servers know how the game is progressing.

I have already banned and warned a few players, esp those in HI. Believe me, if I have already warn you not to spam global chat, and you still do it, and I have to stop my own game to come over to the server you are on to stop you, you have pissed me off royally. Repeated offences will have consecutively longer ban periods.

Please limit the chats to the servers you are on, so as not to cause a nuisance to other players in other servers.
    Players, if you noticed others spamming global chat, notify the available admins immediately.
    Fellow admins, please do take note of the situation and do not treat these global spams lightly. Too many complaints about this issue already. And I do not find it amusing at all.

Thanks.

3. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

The offenders so far have been Kate, Titanium, AzureKite, i4LuN and a couple of others I cannot recollect. I have no clue why you all think it's fun to do.

4. Penguin

Penguin Guest

ill admit to using it from time to time but i certainly don't spam it, i feel it is a good feature as long as its used in moderation or only used in certain circumstances...

like for example to get people to come to versus :D

5. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

It should be for Admin use only IMO.

6. Penguin

Penguin Guest

hmmm, i think there is another chat command that admins can use to talk across servers...don't hold me to that though.

I feel like there should be something you have to do before you can use it. or maybe only trusted people have access to it because it can be quite handy sometimes

7. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

Titanium and AzureKite are the biggest abusers of this right now. I asked them to stop. Those two are like talking to 10 year olds.

8. britishgamerni

britishgamerni MG Donor

I took a screenshot for proof but it won't let me upload here keeps saying the files too big no matter how much I reduce it

9. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

Agree with everything contained in this post. Very well said.
    It's a fantastic feature and it's a shame a few people have to abuse it.
    No. In moderation, this works wonderfully. It's just the recent abuse that is casting a shadow over it.
    So now we have to achieve the ability to talk across servers? lol.

10. britishgamerni

britishgamerni MG Donor

11. Vulcan

Vulcan Game Server Moderator

12. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

13. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

I don't see how it works in moderation when only a handful of members know how to do it, and it's one less thing that can be abused. If anything, Admins and Mods should be the only ones to know how to do it and have the ability to do it. Before all this hoopla started I recall the only global messages came from Honor, Erik and maybe 2 other server mods.

14. Duncan

Duncan New Member

This is annoying for VI and coop players too, not just for versus players. 2 days ago player from vs coop and VI told them to stop spamming the global because the #%#% noobs were sharing in global crap with other ppl inside the same HI server :S

I think its ok to invite ppl to fill the PR servers like Penguin said, so maybe instead of removing us for the global it should be just HI. They get bored because they have to stay afk for like 5 min each round and start with this "dat noob" "le boobs" crap... and they use global to talk with ppl in the same server so its just spam, and in versus we need the chatbox clean because its a pain in the ass to scroll up to see who is dead or who is mutated and many other things, so, it's not like we tell them to stop just because some don't like HI or a particular person there, it's because it is a problem for us to play with spam.

15. Jost

Jost Game Server Moderator

Yes the waiting time can be boring on HI.
    For an admin on HI, its difficult to see whats really going on. As an alive player, you are not able to see the global messages at all, while dead players can spam the global chat. So i dont know if i see 50% or 75% (or whatever %) of messages...

What abour a personal enable/disable function?

16. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Ok so a few days ago I fixed the python script that is being used for global chat and prevented it from not restarting when it crashed, so right now it's running all the time and suddenly there's a topic full of complains about global chat spam, that's probably not a coincidence.

I think we should probably disable it for non-admins.

17. I do agree it should be disabled, but disable the global chat for HI server only. I have noticed on a few occasions that it is always players from the HI servers that started the spam first, that led to a continuing list of useless chat.
    Global chat is a useful function, like what the rest had mentioned, for public announcements or informing others all around to join the server for a certain event etc.

I do not want the PR players to be deprived of such a useful function just because a few players from other servers are abusing the system. I feel it is more effective and fair that global chat is disabled for the HI server.

18. Duncan

Duncan New Member

I understand what Jost said here, and to be fair is not like every player is spamming all the time, most of the time is the same 2 or 3 guys Titanium and AzureKite being the most notorious (and I repeat, most of the time talking between them or with ppl in the same server or trolling when someone from PR invite players to join). I'm not saying that a joke from time to time is annoying, but they use it as if it was steam chat to talk with their buddies....

I see it as a useful tool, the past few days some players from HI joined PR and VI vs to play a little too, so I wouldn't like this to be seen as a division in the community just because some players abuse of the global chat. Maybe we should try to suspend the privileges of the ones abusing it (maybe just for some time) instead of going for something more drastic like removing just PR versus from the global or removing it for all of us.

Anyway that is just my opinion, but I think it might help :)

19. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

It's logical to set a restriction on it at this point in time. Let's restrict it to donors, if they can't use it properly then restrict it to admins only. Eventually the restriction might be removed when those abusing it have forgotten about it. It's helpful, but it's being abused and people will only keep fighting about it.

20. Tom1993

Tom1993 Head Administrator Staff Member

Need to agree with Duncan here, the global chat is good for inviting people to other servers for example. And from what I've also seen the most spammers are playing HI, you see messages like KOS someone all the time at certain points. Now it might not always be annoying to see such "possible jokes" but spamming on the other hand can be really annoying. I don't use the global chat too much myself though but it has its advantages, ie. if you need an admin on a server, or similiar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.