1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

game crash on joining

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by Left4Bed, Jul 18, 2012.

1. erik

erik MG Donor

In Windows Vista, when running L4D2, try to add a Launch Option. Even if you crash on join, and this DOESN'T solve it, it will most definitely help. I gamed in Vista for a while and used this method successfully.

It solved intermittent crash-on-load errors.

If you right-click on the Steam icon in your tray (by the clock,) choose "Library."

In your library, right-click L4D2 and choose "Properties."

Under "set launch options," try the following (no quotes, just like I have it.)

-novid -lv

What does this do?
    -novid = gets rid of opening title / video sequence
    -lv = Low Violence mode. This can actually IMPROVE your fps (frames per second) rate!

PS - Angel, in your case, did you try uninstalling Flash Player for Internet Explorer (only,) leaving any other Flash Player (NON-IE?) Luke mentioned this and it's been invaluable solving this issue.

2. Chocobo

Chocobo <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

What's wrong with you guys? :P Windows 8 is about to come out, I think it's about time you upgraded.

3. erik

erik MG Donor

Did you try an older revision that was known to work? I think 296.XX for that video card (I had it in a PC of mine) is stable, even with current L4D2 updates/Steam updates.

When I reverted from 301.42, I had an issue getting it to rollback.

I had to NOT check the box "clean install," as you'd think during the .msi.... but, instead, just repair the preexisting one.

This was on an O/S Vista Ultimate x64 w/, yes, an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT w/ only 512MB.

ALSO: In L4D2, in Video Options, disabling Vertical Async helped w/ other video related issues (like FPS being out-of-whack.) Got that tip from Stefeman, I believe.

4. Angel

Angel MG Donor

Thanks for the help Erik but I didn't really need it lol, I have no problems with any ads or whatsoever. I was just trying to comfort Legend about using Vista :D

5. e36

e36 MG Donor

Couple points:

---------------------works --------------------
    -I try to use the -lv and it works. (the good)

- I had to uninstall flash and manually remove the flash directory. I then install a older version of flash (10.2 or 10.02, I forgot) and it work without crashing. I also add the -lv to improve performance and "127.0.0.1 motd.pinion.gg" to my host file.

-----------don't work -------------
    -I also try upgrading to the newest version of Flash. Don't work!

6. Well, I had this bug a few weeks ago, but then it disappeared the next day. Now it is here again. I sometimes do not even get to the ad; just as soon as the loading screen is complete, L4D2 shuts down.

7. erik

erik MG Donor

Note console errors once the map doesn't load or crashes.

There are lots of examples but if you get errors or codes, we can figure it out from there.

8. erik

erik MG Donor

What about completely uninstalling Flash for Internet Explorer?

Known fix Luke came up with for this issue. May be redundant help/tips since ads temporarily disabled.

9. yep, helped. Everything is working fine now.