1. Click here to join our community discord server.

game crash on joining

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by Left4Bed, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Left4Bed

Left4Bed Guest

Other people have complained about this, so this is what is happening.
    I load the game, and it crashes as soon as I try to start playing. I have done the defrag, the file verification for the game. Checked all my drivers, have no addons except helm's deep, and could find no issue, everything is up to date. It's been going on for many days.

It doesn't happen so much in versus, but only when I try to join the pr co op server, no matter which location. I was also able to play helm's deep so its pr co op that is the issue.

Someone mentioned the server ad, and that's when it clicked. Only when loading the Skyrim ad and one other (which I cannot identify as it shuts the game down to0 fast to identify) show on these servers. Any other ads, and I load fine.

I've also visited other servers, (many that are loaded with buffs, many similar to the ones here) as well as the vanilla Steam servers, and it only happens on MG PR Co op.

The game has been running fine until a few days ago, and still does elsewhere so I know it cannot be my pc. :(

2. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Open the console and manually connect to a server with the command "connect 'ip address'"

Now read the console before it closes. Post what you read.
    Have you always had these problems? When did they start?

A quick fix may be installing a proxy such as Privoxy which filters all ads. (Excuse the advertising).

3. Left4Bed

Left4Bed Guest

Tried that. It closes so fast there is no time to read the console. The game crashes and shuts off completely, it doesn't JUST go to desktop - the game shuts off immediately. There is no engine error notice or anything to give me a hint of what it is or how to fix it.

4. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

When the MOTD panel loads the Flash Player plugin before loading an empty page, the embedded Trident browser (Internet Explorer) will crash, and the game does not know how to handle an external plugin crash, so the game terminates its message loop.

5. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Try setting firefox or google chrome as your default browser and update flash.. that could help.

6. lukemurawski

Doesn't matter what your default browser is since the embedded browser is Internet Explorer.

7. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Well, for CS:S downloading system, it does matter :P so i thought it would matter for l4d2 too.

8. lukemurawski

Not sure about CS:S, but as far as I know, the L4D2 MOTD panel embeds Internet Explorer

9. in lfd2 some server ads make my game crash :/

10. jtork

jtork Senior Member

been crashing once in a while with some error ... but will update flash and see if that works

11. lukemurawski

If you disable all of your Internet Explorer extensions, the crash should get resolved. That shouldn't be a problem supposing you use a different browser like Chrome or Firefox. Just disable the IE extensions.

12. Left4Bed

Left4Bed Guest

I'm going to disable all my extensions in all my browsers and see what happens in a while.
    I updated Adobe last night but it was no help lol.

13. oakgyrl510

oakgyrl510 Junior Member

I get this crash as well, it's only when I join mg servers.[I've already tried other servers and it works ok, even if they have ads, etc.] I usually play the US one/s. It happened to me 3 straight times one day and 2 times another before I got in.

I don't use IE at all, only chrome, with firefox on the side in case some sites don't support chrome. Flash is up to date.

14. lukemurawski

Try this :)

1. Update Internet Explorer to the latest version and open it.
    2. Click the gear icon on the top-right corner, and select "Manage add-ons"
    3. On the left hand panel, under the Show select box, choose "All Addons"
    4. Find "Shockwave Flash Object" in the list and click on it. Press Ctrl + A. Then click "Disable All".

That should fix your problem. Please note that you do not need to modify your other browsers' settings. Only Internet Explorer is embedded into the MOTD panel.

15. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

Didn't work. I'm still experiencing the same issue regardless of disabling all my add-ons. The only way I can get in the game without it crashing is if I click the video and it brings me to whatever random web page after that then I can click OK to enter the game.

The video is definitely the culprit. My Adobe Flash was already updated prior to experiencing the issues then all of a sudden game starts crashing. If the two are related then how about using an HTML 5 embedded video?

16. Smile

Smile MG donor

Try uninstalling flash and see if that fixes it. I played around with trying to keep flash disabled in IE but still work in firefox but somehow Steam always finds the plugin. Even when I copied the dll (or whatever it was) directly to the firefox plugins folder without installing Flash Steam still found it.

17. lukemurawski

18. Left4Bed

Left4Bed Guest

19. I tried all the suggestions on this thread plus disabling V-Sync (Erik suggested this), no dice. Still happening. I will check in periodically for updates but this is frustrating, because during busy times if I get booted off this way I can't get back in again. I'd like to buy more buffs but it would be a dumb idea for me to do that if I can't get on and stay on the server to use the buffs.

20. lukemurawski

Try searching on Google "uninstall flash internet explorer". Uninstalling flash player for internet explorer should solve the problem.