1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Doctor's been subtracted

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by Doctor Calculator, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vulcan

Vulcan Game Server Moderator

Just Wow! I am really unconfortable with where this has gone. Calculator has been a good freind and as I have said before I want him on my team but in retrospect maybe because it was usually the winning team. I really don't buy the argument that it is approved and legit and it disturbs me that Dr. would suggest that others do the same. It also bothers me that drama is erupting in the utopian domain of VI. I have suspected Dr. and a couple others of using some sort of hack for some time but I always let it slide because I don't have a confrontational hair on my ass but enough is enough, Bonekeep has hair on his ass and did what I did not have the balls to do. It bugs me that another player came to Dr's defense saying I do it too, as if that makes it alright.

I hate team sports like football, baseball, hockey and especially basketball, always have always will. Just the sound of squeeky shoes on a basketball court or the sound of a thudding basketball makes my blood pressure go up and I want to kill someone. If anyone ever put up a basketball hoop in the street near my house where I could hear it I would drag it away with a rope by the bumper of my truck.

In the days of old of Babe Ruth, Vince Lombardi, Fran Tarkington, Joe Namath and many others, sports were pure and almost untainted. Then came steroids and some players began getting an unfair advantage. Players began getting tested in the olympics and all other sports to combat this but they always find away around it until new methods catcdh them. It is totally unfair to players that are clean to compete against players on performance enhancing drugs and that is exactly what these little hacks are to the PC gaming world.

Here is what I am getting at. I have often thought it would be great to have two sports leagues. One legitimate league that is straight up with no drug tolerance and another league where anything goes. Players can roid themselves into animals and play against other animals and die a premature death like Lyle Alzado. Maybe there is a way to make a server to let all the hackers play together no holds barred but to leave a few slots open just for spectators to watch the action.

2. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

This is somewhat unfortunate.

To keep things simple, now that everybody knows, stop using the hack and move on :) We're all friends here, right?

3. [​IMG]

4. Halcyon

Halcyon Senior Member

That's not being insecure. That's solving the issue that makes you yell out on the mic the words: "How the fuck did I miss with that Charger?!?!!"

I don't think Dr. Calculator is using "hacks" because I've destroyed him several times and he's destroyed me several times. I admit I only play with him and the others 2 times a week during the busy nights but I haven't really noticed anything that made me want to punch my monitor. I also change my lerp settings because it just solves an issue with the game that shouldn't be in competitive matches to begin with and nobody can really consider it a hack because its standard practice for actual sanctioned competitions.

If he were actually cheating, we'd see a massive disparity between his skill and ours that anybody can notice and he'd have been kicked by the admins many months ago but as people have said in this thread, he's been playing with us a lot and has gotten to know us pretty well. I do hear the occasional grumbling on some nights about how Doctor "Hackulator" is doing something fishy but it doesn't really go past speculation. I've played on other servers before MG and when somebody is using "hacks" the game pretty much stops for a while and the subject is banned pretty quickly.

I do, however, think he's not helping his case with the attitude he's showing towards people here. I get the frustration of being falsely accused, but people don't take kindly to somebody who gets in their face like Doctor has in this thread, and it usually results in you being ostracized no matter whether you were guilty or not.

5. Sycorax

Sycorax Member

Apparently people still think that tweaking your client config is some kind of hack.

Let me explain this again. Basically what the changed interpolation settings do is put the hitbox of moving entities (e.g. a flying Hunter) closer to where it actually is on your screen. If a Hunter is trying to pounce you, and you use the default lerp of 100ms, the hitbox usually is in front of the avatar you see on your screen. That means you have to shove it way before it's actually close to you. With lower lerp, the hitbox gets closer to the avatar, which means you can pretty much shove it the moment it's actually right in front of you on your screen. It does NOT improve hit registration, someone with higher or default lerp can deadstop just as many Hunters, it's just that he has to shove earlier, which isn't the way it's supposed to be. The Source engine has its problems, and that's one of them.

There's a reason why everyone can change those settings, if it'd be an unfair advantage, Valve would have blocked it. But they decided to let people tune those settings instead. Other games just do a better job at figuring out the best default values themselves.

Saying that this is some kind of hack or unfair advantage is like saying people with low pings, better hardware (higher fps), decent mouses, keyboards and headsets are cheaters. Following that logic, we'd all be playing on C64's just to keep everyone happy (I'm not saying that wouldn't be fun :p).

Also let me make clear that the video with the visible hitboxes I posted is not what people with tweaked lerp are seeing. That is just a demo of how the game works internally. It is not possible to make those hitboxes visible unless sv_cheats is enabled on the server (which isn't the case on VI of course) - and even then, I think it has to be a local listen server to actually work.

I also wanted to say that there is no way I'm able to tell for sure if Doctor is using anything else. Honestly, I don't think any of us are able to do that. I would suggest that if you believe Doctor is hacking, you'd have to find prove before doing anything about it. I don't see why Doctor should nor do I know how he could prove that he isn't hacking. However, the majority seems to disagree with me on this, seeing that Atheists are still at less than 10 % in most contries, while I'm still waiting for any proof on that matter. But that's another topic. :]

My gut is telling me that he's a good player, but the fact that I (and many other players) am able to successfully pounce/jockey/boom or attack him in any other possible way from time to time, especially when playing on EU where the tuning doesn't affect his performance by much, tells me that I'm playing with a human and not some kind of aimbot, anti-recoiler or anything else.

6. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

I know what you mean and i agree somewhat with this, Surely its unfortunate, but as left 4 dead 2 is mod-able via client and server side, and even has a console with tons of performance commands ready for anyone to use, its only obvious that people will use those "boosts" if they know how to enable optimal settings for theirselfs.. Why wouldn't they? - I mean, it's free boost and can make you even 20% more better at best, and it's not even banable by VAC.

Also, theres no way to see clearly whetever someone has enabled these things for sure..

I wouldnt care alot about it, as long as its not "too visible". but as i say again, i dont know the situation as i have not seen him in game..

7. lukemurawski

I want to change my lerp settings D: lol :P

8. Vulcan

Vulcan Game Server Moderator

The information Sycorax posted on lerp is quite interesting. I never knew what it was and still kind of don't. The thing is that what ever Dr. is using is not blatantly obvious. Perhaps he has tuned his lerp which I guess would be acceptable, but does not the hit box need to be in front of you to get it? He has been consistently deadstopping hunter attacks from the rear, I am sure his headset helps. I am a poor hunter to begin with so this did not raise a red flag just my blood pressure. How does adjusting your lerp improve your accuracy or allow you to break smokers tounge? Bonekeep mentioned that he at one time asked Dr. to turn off whatever he was using and everything was normal for a while, so there is a difference and while I did not notice because I am usually on his team others did. I am not against this lerp tuning and would probably do it myself if I knew how so let's not throw anyone under the bus for that. My only concern is the remote possibility of some kind of wallhackish or aimbottish program.

9. HighVolt@ge

HighVolt@ge Senior Member

Thats because you and Zsoka are the first 2 to jump ship an join his team :smiley-finger007:

10. The Real Youngblood

The Real Youngblood Game Server Moderator

So let me get this straight. On VI we have veteran players and new players. The veterans typically crush the new players although we teach them how to play and show them the wiki and they slowly learn. Now, some of the veterans don't think that's good enough. So they make these twerp adjustments giving them almost God-like powers which frustrate everyone and pisses the new players off so bad they don't come back. And what was the attendance on Chi VI last Fri and Sat night? I would like to hear from them how they feel an empty server is good for MG?

And for what reason? So they can go quicker up the leader board and they can say "Hey, look at me somebody, please pay attention to me because my parents never did!" So they can highfive themselves in the mirror every night before they go to bed? Here's a newsflash....playing on YOUR computer, with YOUR ping, with YOUR equipment is called SKILL!!! Get some.

Making "adjustments" that new players aren't going to have is NOT a level playing field. It's like Michael Jordan during his prime in the NBA playing on a High School basketball team and he's not holding back. And after a while he's scratching his head wondering why no one wants to play with him anymore. Then at the end of the season after winning the championship of Division C High School basketball he holds this huge celebration and screams "Woo-Hoo! I PWNED. I'm so great."

Lame. Just lame.

11. Doctor Calculator

Doctor Calculator Junior Member

Hi, I am Doctor Calculator, and I have been lerping since left 4 dead one. This is the first time in my 3 years of left 4 dead that I have seen people categories lerp as a

12. Sycorax

Sycorax Member

You might be able to develop sourcemod plugins, implement TrueSkill, but don't you think something that high sophisticated might be too hard for you? :P

By breaking Smokers tongue you mean deadstopping a Smoker just before the pull succeeds? I guess the effect is pretty much the same as with Hunters, the hitbox gets closer to the avatar.
    BTW: all you have to do to use Doctors settings is copy one file (autoexec.cfg) to a specific path in your game folder. This should be explained in detail if you follow the link Doctor provided.
    Just don't expect any miracles. After playing with default settings for a long time, you probably adjusted your movements/actions, so it might take some time to get the hang of it.

Lets just be clear, what you're describing there is VI Chicago. On EU, we usually don't have this kind of team stacking, which means veteran players are playing on both teams. Anyone who's playing on both servers will be able to confirm this.

I don't see why I should hold back or not use any (officially supported, VAC approved) tweaks on the only server I play on. I've spent almost 1000 hours on VI, mostly on EU, playing with balanced teams and having fun.
    Anyone should be able to tweak their settings to their personal gaming preferences as long as it's not some kind of hack. And since there is no server I know of that doesn't allow it, and most servers used for tournaments even require your lerp to be lower or equal to 67ms, what gives you the right to judge anyone just because you're a sore loser. I don't see you bitching when teams are stacking, which gives you an enormous advantage.
    So stop being a hypocrite, enjoy your game and let people do whatever they want with their settings.

13. lukemurawski

It's too sophisticated :P The only thing I'm good at are making sourcemod plugins and c++ source engine mods >_> And my gf hates video games.

14. Pessego

Pessego Guest

GF
    GF
    GF
    GF
    GF
    GF
    GF

15. HighVolt@ge

HighVolt@ge Senior Member

Agreed, MOST of the time,, the people playing including myself are MORE THAN EAGER to votekick a worthless f'in teamswitcher on EU. Not as common on USA :(

:smiley-signs109:

16. lukemurawski

I found an excellent post on interpolation online. This should help clear up any confusion:
    http://kill-frenzy.com/forums/index.php?topic=815.0

Quoted below:

17. lukemurawski

18. Halcyon

Halcyon Senior Member

Youngblood, I assure you, this is definitely NOT cheating. It's bugfixing. The majority of VS players do it and I've seen threads on this very forum that teach people what's going on and how to fix it.

19. Nova

Nova Senior Member

There's only one conclusion to this thread now :
    client settings : always have been accepted and not considered as cheating since the dawn of steam
    Tweaking interp in l4d2 : pathetic and lame
    New players that tweak interp : will be banned for hacks most likely

If people are really against this, you can ask that the servers increase minimum rates imposed on players so the interp value cannot go under a certain value, but it will always be changeable.

20. to get this topic closed once and for all, i can get the guy who MADE the lerp scripts and every changes on l4d2, his name is DON, so should i call him here? btw he dosnt play on mg servers cuz he dosnt like modded servers ;)

so if u guys want then ill call DON himself to do the honor and finish up with this :P

8)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.