1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by marvel, Jul 3, 2013.

1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

So who's gonna run Windows 8.1 with the returned start menu? (Have to talk about something when the servers are down :7)

Right now Windows 8 has a little bit more market share than Windows Vista, I think about 5% against 4.7% respectively so as for now it's a complete fail.
    Do you think Win 8.1 will change that?

I'll stick to Win7 on the desktop for sure btw because I think Win8 is still a tablet -not a desktop OS.

2. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

can't see myself running to Windows 8 tbh - Windows 7 is fast, flexible, and does everything I want it to, I have no reason to pay for an upgrade.

Can't help but agree! Windows 7 is arguably one of the best Microsoft have put out, great stuff. Windows 7 for gaming/browsing, and Linux for work over here.

3. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

I'm sticking with Windows 7 myself.. The only thing i like in Win8 is the new task manager graphics, but no way i'm gonna change into that mess just for that.

4. Chocobo

Chocobo <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

I currently have W8 on my computer, as it came for free. I honestly don't notice much of a difference from W7. I'm sure I will be updating it when the update becomes available.

5. erik

erik MG Donor

"And it has Skype AND Facebook AND Tweeter on your desktop too!!!!!!11111"

Bloated bells and whistles and a cosmetic polishing-up; I just don't see any benefits to it or any worth-while features (at least nothing that justifies the cost of a new OS.) At least Vista, by comparison, introduced a couple things like ReadyBoost.

I think you inadvertently drew a good comparison, value-wise and effeciency-wise; Windows 8 seems to be The New Vista. Personally, I don't use tablets, handheld devices or anything other than a prepaid cell phone (cuz I have to carry one.)

As far as the "New Vista" comparison goes; I see lots of WindowsUpdates in the future, clumsy, cumbersome Service Packs and all the other yadda yadda yadda that is an unfortunate part of the average consumer's OS.

Windows 8 caters to this crowd; It just seems unnecessary and doesn't feel like a potent new operating system, as it should. I had it for 2 days.

The core, money-spending trends are starting to point to gamers and high CPU-usage endusers (more and more!) On the business front, Windows 8 doesn't really offer anything or even bear decent compatibilty for professional systems.

6. MetallicA

MetallicA <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

I got Windows 8 on this machine and it runs better than Win7.

It runs faster, uses less resources.

You can always disable the Metro interface and go back to the Classic Menu, just download it here http://ninite.com/

7. erik

erik MG Donor

lol metro

8. tank

tank MG Donor

I have win8 on one normal laptop (not gamer) and i agree run fast i normal operations works fine but when i using for movies dvd or music progs use more resources then my old pc with vista.
    Second its boring that no old log in on windows, for log in to windows need use winows live or hotmail account -.-
    No menu start, for get use "commands" in "run" ( no run) need use shortcut keys to get "run" window,
    Search limit,in google,youtube (due the copy rights), on my pc with vista find more stuff and movies on youtube then i type onwin 8 youtube.
    Anoying when u surfing full screen with your browser if you come to close on right side of the screen with your mouse ,auto showing up new "windows 8 menu" covering half screen.

9. erik

erik MG Donor

Bloated, that's the kind of shit I was talking about. What a pain in the ass.

10. MetallicA

MetallicA <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

THAT's annoying but I got used to it :D

11. erik

erik MG Donor

lol sry but this made me come up w/ a W8 slogan

"Microsoft Windows 8: You'll Get Used To It."

12. marvel

Oh yeah, I love those arguments. Here's my top 3 arguments I hear all the time for upgrading to Windows 8:

Hey, it takes a few weeks but then you'll get used to it and you never want to go back!

It would be the same as switching the clutch pedal with the gas pedal in my car, there's no reason to switch them but I'm sure I'll get used to it after a few accidents and after that I never want to go back.

Just buy start8.com it's only 5 bucks and you'll have your start menu back!

Well, I already have Windows 7 and it comes with a free Start Menu, so why upgrade to Windows 8 and pay for one? Besides I hate 3rd party tools to fix short comings in an operating system that shouldn't be broken to begin with.

Windows 8 boots so fast! That should be reason enough to upgrade!

My Window 7 boots in like 8 seconds with SSD, besides my PC is on 24/7. I reboot like once a month and it even reboots for me usually when I'm asleep because of new updates.

But yeah, no matter what I say they keep bringing up these foolish arguments. A colleague of mine had a Windows 8 installation and I had to configure his Wifi access. So I needed to refresh the Wifi networks and I couldn't find anywhere how to do that so I asked him, and he told me I had to switch flight mode on and back off again with some kind of stupid side panel that pops out from the right of your screen. To only see that made me decide I would never ever install that crap on my home pc.

It could be me but I've never seen anybody using a desktop PC on an airplane.

13. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

this..

Besides Metro UI is for tablets and phones. It barely "works" with some touchscreen laptop.

Though i can't figure anyone who would actually enjoy to booting into Metro UI, just, so that they can use fingers to open something up and then forced to use mouse again.. Unless the target audience is same as the bellow picture:

[​IMG]

I just hate those "perfect family" ads from Microsoft when they introduce something "mindblowing".. 80% of the systems will be used in work anyway. And whats more, in Windows 8, Microsoft effectively closed all third party softwares from funning at Kernel level, in the system?s core.

14. erik

erik MG Donor

A few community members were saying things like "I believe it performs better than Windows 7," but for me to buy an OS, I wanna see some figures or at LEAST 1/2 features/benefits. (The ReadyBoost comment.)

Your entire post cracked me up, I almost spit my drink when I read the last line... just zomg.

I won't say who, but one person mentioned (from my friend's list) "I LOVE HAVING SKYPE FACEBOOK TWEETER AND ALL MY FAVORITES AT MY FINGERTIPS." I don't wanna be a prick, but dude, you already had them at your fingertips and most browsers autofill once you type the first few letters. Sorry to be the one to tell you, but the next version of Windows won't chew your food for you too.

15. marvel

Yeah people always tell you it performs better but that's just because they did a fresh installation of Windows 8 where their Windows 7 was bloated with malware and all kinds of other crap :P

16. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

from what I've seen it is a tad faster, but it certainly isn't enough of a difference to warrant the pain in the ass of changing and finding my way around a new shitty interface.

17. WeeJocky

WeeJocky Game Server Moderator

Every time I have to use W8 on someone elses computer I find something new to dislike.

For example; the other day I was trying to open two PDFs so that we could look at a map and document at the same time. I open the first and it gets opened in fullscreen mode, blacking out the desktop. There are no buttons besides zoom and no obvious way to minimise or close it or change it into a windowed mode. So I go back to the metro screen and back to desktop but of course the PDF is still open in the background. I eventually resorted to googling the problem and found that it seemingly cannot be done and that I would just have to download a new default reader to get it to open the way I wanted.

It's not exactly difficult for me to change this (but I imagine many people, such as my friend would never even realise they could fix it). The point is that it should not be necessary for me to fix the problems that microsoft have made. I am on a desktop, with a 22" monitor, not a 7" tablet; I do not need to have a file opened full screen to read it.

In the end that's what it comes down to; I could live with W8 but I would have to fix all it's little flaws to the point where it basically resembles W7 again so changing would be a pointless waste of money.

18. marvel

Yeah and now Microsoft is very excited because you can split 3 Metro applications over your screen with Windows 8.1, like if multitasking is something that was invented yesterday lol.

Max 3 though :)

19. Scorpion

Scorpion Banned

I have to admit i was an xp pro kinda guy until i took a dive into windows 7 (Ultimate) (never touched vista) then i was hooked....I loved it. So much more smooth, the UI was much more pleasing to the eye. Windows 8.1 i'll never get as i love 7 far too much....plus i'm a if it ain't broke don't try to fix it kinda guy so windows 7 will serve me for many more years to come just like xp pro did. :)

20. erik

erik MG Donor

[​IMG]