1. Click here to join our community discord server.

What do you think of The War Z?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JorisK, Oct 5, 2012.

1. JorisK

JorisK Day Z Admin

Hi,

Most people that played Day Z also heard of a new game called The War Z being developed. Most of us already seen plenty of screenshots and some pre-alpha useless video's in low quality but lately things started to develop: new ingame footage with final soundeffects, PvP and finally: you can see some zombies.

The official trailer came on the 4th and can be seen here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5vz80ozM57Y#

I was pretty sceptic about it, imho the product is nothing more than a ripoff of Day Z but since i've seen the last films about PvP and the intro about i really start to believe they made a good product.

I'm just wondering what you guys think of it? Are you gonna buy it? Should MG get a server too?

For just 20$ you can play this game -FULLY- on oct. the 30th, or 30$ on oct. the 15th. More information about pricing here:
    https://account.thewarz.com/preorder/preorder.html

Some other things you need to know:
    - At the 15th they start alpha testing (only pioneers and legends can play)
    - At the 30th they start beta testing (everyone will be able to play)
    - There will be DLC but it will all be free (new maps, updates, etc)
    - There will be no Pay2Win (buy guns with money)
    - The game comes with one map (Colorado) and other maps (they said about 4/5, ex. Paris) will ship later.
    - The Pioneer and Legend version of the game will have three free keys for guest players that can try the game fully in the weekend of 30th october.

I think i will give it a try :)
    *edit: I just bought it :)

Lemme know!

2. Yvan?vitch

Yvan?vitch Guest

3. Don Juliano

Don Juliano Banned

me2

4. Don Juliano

Don Juliano Banned

I just pre-order the PIONEER and i have to wait until 15oct to be able to play.

5. ZombieGirl

ZombieGirl Senior Member

I can't help it but this feels(IS) like a rip off,even the name,come on...no inspiration?

I don't like stealing so i won't buy this game,at least as long as i'm not sick of DayZ or L4D2 yet and i have time to play other games again :P

6. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

I also feel like it's a rip off and would rather wait for the DayZ standalone version. If it comes via Bohemia Interactive and uses the Arma 3 engine, then it'll be far superior to WarZ because BIS can definitely make quality games when they try.

The problem with DayZ was that it's inside a heavily scripted game like Arma 2, which is a military simulation engine and not made for fast paced zombie style games.

I think a standalone will be far superior once they get rid of that scripting ability and give it a more arcade feel (keep it semi-realistic though) with quicker animations and less bugs. Fumbling with the scroll wheel menu to perform an action has always been a thorn in my side in this game.

Arma 2 was probably the only game this mod could have been a success on because of it's ability to host so many players on a server and the size of the play area on one map.

I think WarZ struck at a time when the mod was hot property and now they're making a quick buck off pre-orders. I'm going to support the guy that had the originality to make the mod in the first place and not a second rate developer that saw the idea and made it into a game first.

FYI: The games this developer have previously made are not fantastic, while BIS has a history of quality games and will hopefully make sure DayZ standalone gets the quality development that it needs.

7. This is a very good argument. I feel like the creators of War Z want to release their game to the mainstream (aka stand alone) before Day Z does while stealing a bit of the fame of Day Z by using a game title that sounds familiair. A small segment of Day Z players will be confused, but I think it is unfair for the developers of Day Z that now a lot of people will jump on the "Z" bandwagon with War Z...

Also, I think their business model, which is sort of crowdsourcing with an alpha to get funds to make updates, has a pretty greedy pricing structure... 50 euros if you want to get in early and play the alpha, kind of agressive if you ask me.

That being said, I'm going to wait for gaming footage and video reviews to come out. I'm looking forward to see what both games will become when they are stand alone. I hope to see the zombie bugs fixed asap |:(

Keep us posted on how the game is, and if it's worth it's money

8. Don Juliano

Don Juliano Banned

...i will do that

9. Raised in Hell

Raised in Hell Senior Member

Short n precise answer .. I wasted money on DayZ, i'm not going to make the same mistake on this.

10. JorisK

JorisK Day Z Admin

It is a ripoff, it even has helicopter crash sites in the game :)

But you have to agree, a few months ago DayZ had 250K players/24hrs and now they only have 50K/24hrs left, simply because the loads of cheaters and the bugs. Let's not forget it took Rocket 9 weeks to fix the graphical glitches...

I agree, the Arma2 engine is not suitable for a game like DayZ, but i do think we should not assume it will be better at the end of the year when the standalone will ship. Most likely it will run on the Arma3 engine, but what about anti-cheat? Are they still going to use the crappy Battleye protection?

My biggest fear is the fact that they release Alpha games. By releasing it this way, they always can give the excuse "Hey its alpha!", when users get freaked out about tons of bugs. Rocket already stated that the standalone version of DayZ will ship as alpha somewhere in december, and we know Rocket deals with alpha releases...

11. The Maniac

The Maniac MG donor

I ordered the Beta, I hope it's worth it. I don't care if it's a ripoff, as long as it's a good ripoff. And 15

12. JorisK

JorisK Day Z Admin

Downloading the alpha right now, 1,7GB big. At 30 october the beta will be released, about 6~9GB big.

At the moment:
    - 30% of the map is availible
    - Weapons are very rare
    - 15K concurrent users are able to play at the same time

I will keep you updated. I wont post any screenshots / videos since that is not allowed :)

13. Don Juliano

Don Juliano Banned

i just plyed the warZ,well so far it sucks big time,no weapons or ammo,no food or drink(of any kind) lets see wut else...hmmm...no melee,only a crap flash light and i have to punch the zombie like 30-40 to kill it...so...still waiting...

14. JorisK

JorisK Day Z Admin

Found a hatchet (instant kill), a few baseball bats and some other stuff. Also found a mossberg and a AK74.

The devs told before the release that the loot tables wouldn't spawn a lot of guns.

Just give it a few weeks and see what they will change. I think the biggest problem of all is that the game crashes too often and that joining a server is almost impossible.

15. WeeJocky

WeeJocky Game Server Moderator

First join - Killed from behind within 20 seconds of spawning while checking the controls :suspicious:
    Second join - Shot from behind soon after spawning while still checking controls }:|
    Third join - played for a minute, found a hammer(!), then got stuck in a rock, crashed and had to delete the character :mmph:
    Fourth join - played for a few minutes then crashed with the error message "There is no zombie hero" :mad2:
    Fith join - ....couldn't join, repeatedly got the "Your version is outdated. Please resart" even though it's a server issue :smiley-angry020:

But on a lighter note, from what I can tell it seems smoother than DayZ, looks fairly good and gives me a nice framerate. I'll save judgement for when some of the bugs get ironed out over the coming days.

16. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Well I waited so long for this game so I bought it, tried to test it but couldn't join. Got thrown back in to the main menu every time. Then later on I tried again and I could join but I got killed within 20 seconds.

Second try, I bought a baseball bat since I had 4500 GC for some reason. I joined, killed a guy with the baseball bat which was obv. a fresh spawn since he had just basic loot. Picked up one of his items and boom, back to main menu. Couldn't join after that. I had the chance though to kinda walk around for 2/3 minutes before that event.

Very, very very early and first impressions:

- The character looks like shit, how he moves, looks, acts. It's really REALLY bad, Day Z is way better here.
    - Graphics are not as good as Day Z as well. The positive thing is that the map is way more detailed but the viewing distance and texture detail doesn't even come close to that of Day Z and viewing distance is really important in games like this. They should aim for much higher system specs. Obv. the engine they used is the limit here (no surprise there though).

They got a lot of work to do when they want to make beta for Oct. 30 and I can already tell you that they're not gonna make it.

I think I'll just wait for Day Z standalone for now, unless things improve REALLY fast I'm not interested in this game. I mean if you make a rip-off make it at least equal or better than the mod you stole the idea from. This is not even good enough to be an alpha. This may be classified as early test or proof of concept.

I'm not disappointed though, it's almost exactly what I expected.

Oh if you guys want guest access keys, here are three. They are valid for 48 hours once activated. Please only use one per person and don't claim them all or give them to people outside of our community. Thanks.

8S7H-JNEB-8UQF-5D1R
    ARR4-KVOF-9JCO-7KHK
    M3M2-N1HE-MQDH-TS5R

17. JorisK

JorisK Day Z Admin

Atm there are lots of bugs and this is only a simple version of WarZ, dont forget things like the marketplace and other items are disabled right now. Once they go live they will bring up another 500 bugs.

Wasn't expecting very much so i aint dissapointed at all. Imho the graphics are better then DayZ, graphics are also smoother but that's pretty much it.

Btw, those codes only work when the beta goes live.

18. Yvan?vitch

Yvan?vitch Guest

http://www.warzwiki.com/The_War_Z_Wiki

Today the game was quite stable, didn't crash all the time like yesterday. Starting to have fun inside the city now. Found a lot of shotguns and 1 sniper riffle. Amo are quite rare.

19. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

DayZ standalone will probably use the Arma3 engine, which will be amazing compared to WarZ. Hopefully all the hackers currently in the dayz mod will go to WarZ when the DayZ standalone comes out.

20. The Maniac

The Maniac MG donor

If they don't get rid of the hacking prroblem in the standalone, I will never ever buy that game.