1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Question for dutch people: How do you avoid the forced car GPS tracking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stefeman, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Basically they are going to remove car taxes in Finland, and put a system which monitors your kilometers and taxes you according to it. (Possibly even gives you speed tickets in the future as it monitors your speed and location).

The solution sounds easy: GPS jammers.

however, it's too easy to be true, so how do you "cheat" or exploit the device in NL?

2. joerve

joerve Senior Member

they would never do this in holland because they will lose money, simply because we have a standard car tax rate
    in which it doesnt matter howmany miles you drive in a year. You still have to pay.

3. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

Maybe on some vehicles but then you'll have many people that commute to work sometimes out of the country or even go on a lot of holidays. I'm sure it will balance out somewhere and I kinda support the idea. You'll have the people who use the roads constantly paying for the road they use, and old people for example paying very little as they may never use their car. Sounds fair to me.

4. joerve

joerve Senior Member

Everybody in holland I know wants to tax car use and not carownership. I guess the government is afraid that when they
    do that everybody will carpool or use trains or busses, or work from home. Besides that I don't even think they can
    pull it off technologywise. In holland we got problems with the most simple traffic technology because they only have
    noobs working for them.