1. Click here to join our community discord server.

[PR] Pro Tips!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HonorCode, Jun 3, 2013.

1. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

Do you have a pro tip for new players? A combination of buffs that works really well on a specific situation? Share it with us here!

A few from me:

-Identify those with the Shaman Handler buff on your team and tell them to use machine guns. Tanks have special hate for those using machine guns so it will lure them to the "handlers". Since they take so little damage, they will be able to lure the tank away from low levels.

-Use your grenade trap wisely! The pipe bomb trap is able to stun any special infected. This can buy you some time.

-Drag survivors to poisonous witches as a smoker. If you see a fellow infected mate dragging one, prepare to ambush the incoming "rescue team".

-Keep your safe area clear (4 or 5 meters) of common infected, specially on cooperative game mode. Most incaps are due to a common infected hit and keep in mind that they do double damage to incapacitated survivors.

-Try to accumulate as most damage as possible with the "Accumulated Rage" buff and deal a perfect hit.

-Watch the special infected! If you see that an infected kills a fellow survivor, do your best to take it down ASAP. If the infected has the "Assassination Boost" buff it will deal insane amounts of damage to everyone.

2. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

I'm certainly not nearly as pro as some players here, but I'll share a couple of things I've found useful from experience:

- As a new player, LEARN TO USE YOUR KNIVES EFFECTIVELY. It is your only insta kill thing going, and is the probably the most used buff on MG. When you first get a knife, you're unlikely to be part of a guild with the Extra Knife buff, so you're going to be needing to use that one *only* when you're on the brink of death, not throwing it away willy-nilly, as you'll get utterly destroyed without it. Players with no knives are prime targets for smokers/jockeys/chargers. This can go for higher-levels with two knives too - some people throw away knives far too easily.

- Observe what high-level players do: Many things that people who have been on MG for a while do as second nature won't be as obvious for you - when in spectate as infected, when running with your team as a survivor, observe the actions your teammates take and learn from them. Taking advantage of the knowledge available is a key part of becoming a better MG player.

- Low level on a versus server? Focus on keeping up as a survivor, and stick with your team. It may seem scary to go up against high level players, but you'll always gain respect for sticking with your team and helping that way! As infected, go for insta-charges/easy incaps. Chargers are the friend of the low level.

- Easy thing, but don't startle witches, especially in coop. This isn't vanilla where cr0wning is commonplace and you can waltz through the Sugar Mill. Witches can and WILL mess you and your team up, and it's the sort of situation where high levels will drop around you too.

- As infected: Generally take advantage of the chaos created by boomers/other infected. Attack with the rest of your team and watch as the damage rolls in. Force opponents to use knives by pulling them away from the other teammates. In vanilla, a team will get slaughtered with no SI teamwork, and linking attacks is a sure-fire winner on MG too.

- Conversely, as a survivor, do everything you can to clear SI off your teammates. Preventing the other team racking up enough bounty for a tank at a choke point can be the difference between winning an entire match and losing.

- Pace your use of throwables, especially on Helm's Deep. Sure, a bile bomb might clear a horde at some point, but isn't it better used on a tank, or those two spitters hitting your spawn hard on VS? Conserve your throwable and your entire team will thank you for it.

- Most of all, have fun! We've all been low level people, getting slaughtered at some point, so just play with your team, have fun, and all is good!

3. TJ

TJ MG Donor

Just a little addition to this:

Please please stop knifing jockeys! It's one of the most pointless wastes of a knife. Jockey's can't kill you by jockey-pouncing you (unless you're b/w); they can only incap you. There are few occasions where it's necessary, but more times than not, it's the dumbest thing you can do with your knife. That is all...

4. erik

erik MG Donor

As survivor, only knife if you're going to die, going to be dragged (sacrifice map 2 for example,) to a karma charge area, or have an electrified knife and can take multiple SI with you. Hesitate to use it even then, as most hunters and chargers nearby will eventually take the bait and get close enough that you can take THEM with you too, then successfully self-revive. Expect your team to help you! They're right, don't knife jockeys unless you're 2 or less jumps from an edge.

As infected... Use the port finale as an example. Stand on the roof as a smoker. Risk that vulnerable 1-2 seconds to make sure you pull a SURVIVOR not a bot! MANY high level players panic and knife right out of the saferoom to avoid being stuck at the initial choke point / bottleneck. Dark Carnival finale: jockey the FIRST ONE OUT with moustachio; pounce onto the first tent you see by using the recycle bins. Most panic out of fear of being stuck in the back. Either way, an early knife is a GREAT start for your team.

Always communicate about knife usage! This is very important in dictating how the map will play out; if no one has knives by the end, and you know who has what... you can logically determine if they will make it to the saferoom or not.

5. erik

erik MG Donor

Underestimated Buffs and Buffs You Can Live Without

Two Overlooked Survivor Essentials:
    -On Fire Buff - This is the one that keeps tanks ignited! I find this to be the single-most underestimated buff in terms of importance. With the Fast Trigger Upgrade, or even Veteran Pistols, chances are, if you lay the damage on thick, you'll ignite the tank. A biled, burning tank never has long. Mindful infected gamers will boom the tanks, but they simply can't keep up if the majority of survivors fighting the tank have On Fire equipped.
    - Vomit Revenge - This is another debatable one. VERY FREQUENTLY, THOSE WHO HAVE IT kill a boomer vomiting on them while being pulled... and it allows them a crucial window to kill the smoker. If it saves a knife, or moreover, saves your ass, it's worth the slot.

Survivor Buffs to Get Rid Of:

- Heat Missle - this is very novel, but novel at best for a PR-VS server. How often do you need it compared to how often you have the chance to use it? I've noticed a LOT of people just naturally keep this equipped because of how fun it is to use. A good one to give up for a more effective buff.
    - Double Projectile - Since this is tips for pros, you won't need this buff at all. Position your cross-hair on a wall; use the COOP servers to perfect the bank shot. This is how you can do things like bile a burning, hiding tank quickly & easily... or get one in the center of a roof
    - Hidden Magnum - Magnums are HIGHLY effective against tanks. Anyone with a simple bind key can !buy, then 1, 1, 2 to get one if you need one. Total waste of a slot if you're on the skilled-to-pro level.
    - Anger Fireball - I used to call this ESSENTIAL. Recently, the buff has been bugged and simply hasn't worked. TO MY ADVANTAGE, I've found that I survive just as long without it. Reason enough to save the buffslot for something more valuable.

Infected Buffs to Get Rid Of:
    - Undercover Tank - I mention this later, but it's simply unnecessary once you get the higher levels.
    - Ghost God - Simply spend some time using the "R" key to fly; those who die as ghost are probably acting in haste to begin with. The buff slot is too valuable to use for this buff.
    - Escape Leap - Skilled & Pro gamers can successfully repounce without any need for this buff whatsoever.
    - Boiling Vomit - For a long time, I used this, but with the advent of Boomer Trap, you can easily do without it. The boomer vomit cooldown period is long enough that there is no need to use up the buff slot for this one.
    - Horde Power - This is debatable... for a long time, people underestimated this. For example, when you vomit or vomit + slap a rusher, those extra -HP from your horde can buy you valuable seconds. Again, with the new boomer cooldown period to vomit, it's not worth the buff slot.
    - Infected Yell - The "Tank Roar" thing happens enough to give the same effect of this buff, making it obsolete.
    - Little Trap aka Biological Hologram - Everyone on the skilled (plus) level knows what this is; use the slot for something essential like M.C. Rock for Tank, or Boomer Trap...
    - Electricity Wave Protection - due to the fact it's only 1HP you're given by surviving an Electrified Knife... I avoid using this; chances are, one of your own teammates will kill you anyways.

Suggested Infected Combo
    :
    - Projectile Incinerator
    - Paranoia or Shaman, if you can afford it
    - Wet Skin
    - Double-Regeneration
    - NO* Undercover Tank
    - Ambusher
    - Negotiator

Tanks, to a large extent, determine how a PRVS game will play out... With the recent removal of Unstoppable II, tanks are even more valuable. So, consider that when looking at this combo; this may be the obvious combination, but VERY effective. As a special tank, you are going to spend the entire time playing as tank biled, that's a certainty. However, if you can deflect most bile grenades, and maintain Wet Skin (to avoid molotov ignition,) you will optimize your time as tank. Double-regeneration allows you to EASILY navigate the playable area to keep yourself going. Demand boomers if you are burning... There's always some dick camping so they can have their precious bitch slap; get on them about putting you out. Negotiator will always be essential; use this to manipulate bile all showers to buy yourself time while awaiting a boom when ignited. With the cool new stuff, it's time to give up Undercover Tank. What do you gain by those few seconds until you get shot... and what do you lose by occupying that slot? A no-brainer. Lastly, why Ambush Buff? With this Tank-favored configuration, Ambush (instead of seeing it as ONLY a Bitch Slap opportunity / window,) actually, can allow you to get RIGHT in there and extinguish another player's burning tank. INCREDIBLY valuable.

6. erik

erik MG Donor

PRO TIP - Karma Smoking

Karma Smoking - Using Drag-and-Move & Mercy Tongue to pull a survivor off of a pathed ledge, grate, etc., and let them go before they use their knife, causing death!

I have a video of how I like to do this floating around somewhere on these forums.

Master this technique! Practice on Dead Center 1.

DON'T OVERLOOK:
    - Crash Course 1 bridge area
    - The Parish 1 - TOTALLY UNTAPPED POTENTIAL - spawn as a smoker on the roof, then drop down on the picnic table at initial spawn, smoke them off the intial ramp.
    - Dead Air Offices Map - L4D1 trick... do this at the dumpster area.