1. Click here to join our community discord server.

New gamers in PR mod/other servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adward, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

With the free day for L4D2 purchase on steam yesterday, there's been a MASSIVE influx of new players to MG servers. Just wanna take a moment to remind everyone as a fellow gamer to treat them all with respect, kindness, and help them as you can!

Seen some great interest in PR in particular, some new players running up the levels on the notoriously difficult PR-VS server. We want to keep these guys around.

We were all new once, so let's make the stars of tomorrow feel welcomed here. :)

2. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Can't agree more! Although we have to be careful as well because a lot of banned griefers can now get L4D2 again for free as well, so be careful and please report any suspicious activities ;)

3. Abstract

Abstract MG Donor

yeah the only thing i can see with the most from them is switching every round really every and when you say thats a kick reason they say i want to stick with my friend. And you cant kick all low lvler say no and no admin there to kick them thats all what they do

4. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

You can just message an admin on Steam (provide proof they are doing these things) and we can kick them from the web. We don't have to be on the actual server.

100% agree Adward, we want all the new players we can get and help them as much as possible. Let's show them why MG is such a great community!

5. Adward

Agreed! To be fair, when I've asked a few of the new guys to switch back/etc the majority are cooperative and respond well, at least when I've asked.

Just keep level-headed and we'll keep the good ones around! The griefers/people who aren't prepared to follow the rules will go soon enough.

6. CrazyRabbit

You don't always have to target the new guy first, leave him until last. Hell, let him get to the safe room on his own just to be kind. Everyone always has this attitude in versus that everyone must die, even the newest guy. If you can kill all survivors but the level 1's, they will continue playing and keep coming back.

7. Adward

ain't always competitive. I've died a few times as a surv sticking with the level 1's at the back through all the chaos. pretty rewarding in its own way!

8. CrazyRabbit

That's absurd.

I think it was more fun for myself and Jones when we were on opposite teams trying to coax our respective level 1's through the map. Some just hide in the saferoom with no idea what's going on.

There is a lot of kill steals going on and I have been prompted by high levels to intervene. Let me say that I will NOT intervene on new players stealing your kill (unless it's blatantly trolling). If you are level 100 or higher, you know better than to bitch and moan to an admin for a new player "stealing my kill". Treat the new low level players with the same respect they give you and your high level, they don't bitch and moan when a level 215 tank busts through the server like a clumsy oaf killing them all in his wake.

I encourage you to buy a tank and pass it to a low level if the server is a majority of new players. Lets keep the Christmas spirit alive for a few weeks more and just relax and not be so competitive. It will die down soon when they level up more.

9. erik

erik MG Donor

Reminds me of the same thread I wrote in regard to the Asia servers at the time. But, thank you for continuing to carry the torch.

10. CrazyRabbit

Not forever. I said for a few weeks until they understand the game. Limiting our VS servers to no one under 50 will prevent new players from joining. What you're saying is letting high levels have a server all to themselves, which is absurd and greedy.

11. Adward

Level-based limitations upon VS servers would be a crock. I remember playing PR-VS as a low-level and having a blast, even when I was getting slaughtered. I'd say make them aware of the easier levelling in Coop, but certainly aid them if they choose to play VS.

It's a game, after all.

12. I agree with them, remember we were all that low at one point. Shouldn't blackball them because they are new.

13. Adward

Nothing like seeing a level 1-5 getting a karma charge on a level 200+ anyway... ;)

14. erik

erik MG Donor

I so agree.

A point to add to this thread...

New gamers are commonly confused with "noob teamswitchers" and other terms of the like. MANY SERVERS THAT ARE NOT MG allow these things. Most commonly, gamers will think it's ok to switch after they die as survivor.

Please remember the "ask / warn / votekick" policy; give them room to understand and soak-in our mod. ALSO REMEMBER, they don't see all the chatbox messages, so you may have to repeat yourself. They most likely have ALL PR notifications turned on.

If they just call a votekick out of the blue for someone... no warning, no provokation, no reason.. that's Votekick Abuse. Please get me or another admin if this happens. That is the converse: One thing about MG that is unique is that it's against the rules to votekick someone based on level, playing style, or anything NOT covered in the rules.

Please leave rushing & farming (and other controversial issues) solely to my Team. These issues otherwise create never-ending discussions or debates. Sure, call out rushers and hold them accountable, just don't try to play admin.