1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Help - CPU fan not working.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Penguin, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Penguin

Penguin Guest

I have just got a new case and moved everything to the new one but after starting it up I have noticed the CPU fan isn't actually working and I can't figure out why...

I has tried removing and reinserting it and also checking my motherboard settings but I can't find any fix for it. It was working fine before I switches cases so I have no idea what's happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

If your CPU fan is not working, don't even start the computer.

Check the pins and make sure they are fully attached

3. Penguin

Penguin Guest

i have checked the pins a few times but still nothing...i have like 4 other 120mm fans found the cpu fan so i geuss that helps a little? but i have my computer on now and its running at 50 degrees.

still got not idea why it wont work, i never unplugged it or anything during the switch so it wasnt even touched

4. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Have you tried another fan?

I wouldn't start it without one, you might damage your CPU.

5. JavCube

JavCube MG Donor

Have you checked this:
    • If the CPU isn't jammed or something?
    • Does the PC boot before it shuts down?
    • Tried another fan?
    • Connected all power supply cables to the mainboard?
    • As last resource, move all your setup back to the old case and check if it works there.

It also cna be that the mainboard or the fan derped when you changed it.

6. fnord

fnord Game Server Moderator Staff Member

If you have a Frys or Microcenter buy a new cpu fan and if it works then keep it if it doesn't work return it and you know its user error or a busted MB

Edit: noticed you were in UK so my store names might not make sense

7. Penguin

Penguin Guest

i have the fan that came with the CPU somewhere but not sure where...suppose i should dig it out and give it a try.

i dont really want to go and buy a new cpu fan unless 100% sure its busted, are the fans that come with the CPU's actually any good.. i have never used it, the one i have now is this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cooling-Freezer-Rev-2-Cooler/dp/B002G392ZI

Also yeah that did confuse me for a second then lol

8. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Stock fan should be fine it's made for that cpu ;)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

9. tank

tank MG Donor

Check maybe if your inside side of motherboard touching the pc case, if it , will make you SHORT CIRCUIT when fan will dont start.Usually when u buy new case they give u 5-.6 plastic suppository where you can place them between motherboard and case. Give a try.

10. Penguin

Penguin Guest

I found the problem!

I got out one of them stock fans and tried that and it appears to be working, so im going to go with it was the fan that was broke...at some point ill see if i can get a better one but for now it will do :P

[​IMG]

Thankyou everyone for your advice and help!

11. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

aye, you generally want to stick with stock fans unless you're looking at overclocking. with decent cable management and airflow, a non oc'd CPU should never be close to overheating in normal conditions.

12. Penguin

Penguin Guest

I dont generally tend to overclock anyway so i guess i could save a bit of money by keeping this fan, it seems to be keeping the CPU at around 34 degrees with is pretty decent.

and this new case i have has great cable management in comparison to my old one where wires were just everywhere