1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Good free anti-spyware software

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HonorCode, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

If I had to purchase my AV I would go with the paid version of malwarebytes. The free scan version has cleaned many clients PC's in the past.
    but free is free ;)

2. Striker

Striker MG Donor

I use nothing but Nod32, a few weeks back my GF bet me that if I run some anti spyware it'll find a lot of stuff (it's been like a year since I last ran anything). I ran Spybot, it caught 3 entries, then malwarebytes which got 4 hits.

Use Nod32, it's gaming friendly and works perfect. If u rather a spyware program I'd go with malwarebytes or spybot, at work those catch the most stuff (as opposed to SEP which is utter crap at anything really, SEP is the business version of Norton BTW).

3. gordon ramsay

gordon ramsay Member

Oh same Im using both of these stuff :D

4. erik

erik MG Donor

Agree. However*, the Norton 2012 Suite is VERY effective.

If you want to use Norton, take some time to understand what the settings mean and how to disable certain benefits/features of it. It is, in fact, a HUGE resource hog.

I agree with Koolaid in re: What's Good.

Avira AntiVir (free) can leave, if uninstalled, problem files or a lot of clutter behind. If uninstalling any A/V or A/M program, ALWAYS use the standard uninstall method (Programs / Features,) then use that manufacturer's Removal Utility.

Avira's is called "Avira Registry Cleaner;" the name is misleading, as it's not a Registry Cleaning utility, moreover one that removes traces of Avira's products. Be careful if using those types of products at any time; Registry Cleaners are very dangerous by nature, despite the company's claims.

These days, you'll find a VERY effective Anti-Spyware/Malware called SUPERAntiSpyware Pro. Give that a try. I actually got a lifetime subscription and it's incredibly effective.

They offer a Portable Version that, when downloaded, changes file name (to avoid being detected by malicious files.) If, say, saved to a clean flash drive on an infected system, it can be ran in safemode effectively (as Administrator.)

Couple that with Avira and, obviously Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and you've got a good "potion" of products. When using Malwarebyte's, make sure that you use it as an on-demand scanner, unless your system is highly infectd. It, too, has a background process that's rather heavy (Trial & Pro versions.) However, it's the most effective out there.

Sometimes, with larger suites, epecially Norton, you will find extremely complicated issues, like undetectable spyware/viruses/malicious files; this can be considered Crimeware, in some cases.

If you can't update your software suite or components are missing; you may need something like Norton's PowerEraser. It will usually flag unsigned files, so be careful with that. (Zero.AccesB is one example of Crimeware.)

Lastly, another VERY important piece of FREE software that is a must-have is Kapersky's TDSSKiller.

The "Google Redirect Virus,' just like it sounds, takes valid Google search engine results and puts you into malicious territory. Like Crimeware, it can't be detected with conventional software scanning and is important to be caught fast.

Luckily, TDSSKilller was designed just for that. Note: This, too, detects unsigned files, so only delete what you are sure is malicious.

5. erik

erik MG Donor

Note: JavaCool Software's Spyware Blaster is also a neat little freeware utility. It takes known malicious sites and adds them to your Hosts file (a permanent blockage of them.)

I personally install it, update it, and apply-all to my browsers at fresh installations of Windows, then simply uninstall the software. It leaves the entire list of hosts exceptions in-place!

EDIT: For manual additions or entries into your hosts file, be VERY careful doing so. If you feel more comfortable using a third-party utility to do it for you, use EmsiSoft's HijackFree.

To do so in that program, click on category "Others," then "Hosts" (in the tree-style selection window,) then in the bottom-left side, click "Add new Addon."

6. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

I've used nothing for 4+ years now lol. And I have gotten only 1 virus in 4 years but it was my silly mistake.

7. erik

erik MG Donor

Wow, that's surprising, given how much you're online (like us.)

At least use Microsoft Security Essentials; light-weight, won't hog up background processes/resources; self-updates.

If it's not offered and you want it, try running MicrosoftUpdate again and "restoring hidden updates."

If it's still unavailable and you want it; let me know, I have nifty 3-step command prompt "process" I use to clear the SoftwareDistribution cache so it re-checks for ALL/ANY missed updates.

8. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

Anything that's written like that is usually spyware or fake spyware scanner lol. Just saying, not that it's spyware or anything...

9. Bonekeep

Bonekeep Guest

Or you could go here and download: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

LOL. I too recommend it though... just cuz you ain't noticed anything different don't mean ur system is clean!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

10. erik

erik MG Donor

Luke, with all due respect, what in the world are you talking about? Perhaps I'm failing to understand what you're saying.

However, it appears that you are doubting the integrity of the software.

At least consult a changelog, update note, or something before damning it. I've used it for two years, maybe longer, and have used the (paid) Pro version with the ability to deactivate the license, then reactivate on another PC (when doing some on-the-spot-support,) and gathered some pretty important stuff quickly.

To be specific, when Virtumonde (I think it's most commonly called Vundo or Virtumundo?) first became a nuisance, this was the only real program that tackled it, besides the lo-fi independent utilities on "bleepingcomputer.com," which, if memory serves, came later. "VundoFix," etc.

Yes, the company produces sales-oriented junk "SUPERAdBlockerPro," "What's Running On Your Computer?," etc.

However, this is legitimate software that, actually, if you check their affiliated partnerships-for, you'll even find Fort Wayne, IN, where I live, has local businesses that use it on-site. That's actually how I heard of it.

So, again, with all due respect "lol" it's not a "fake spyware scanner."

11. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

A while back, I used to get these weird popup messages with "Super Antivirus Pro" and "Ultimate Internet Security Suite" with some fake scan running and detecting nonexistent viruses. The program you referred to was named such that it reminded me of those numerous fake spyware scanners, hence causing me to look with suspicion on anything like "Super Antispyware Pro".

I did not mean to offend you, so I apologize if I did.

12. e36

e36 MG Donor

The best anti virus is to unplug your network cable and tape up all your port and floppy drive. LOL

I use Avast and Avir (depend on computer), keyscrambler, private firewall, process blocker, spy shield. I also check my system with super anti spy and spybot twice a year. You may consider running a virtual machine.