1. Click here to join our community discord server.

FIXED - L4D2 Performance Issues

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by erik, Mar 11, 2013.

1. erik

erik MG Donor

FIXED - L4D2 Performance Issues

I can't seem to locate my original thread where I asked for help w/ L4D2 performance...

But, here was the problem:

- LOW, LOW Frames per Second, like 9-12.
    - In L4D2, as survivor, could not turn around backwards, or do any sort of movement
    - No matter what, L4D2 skyrocketed in terms of computer usage and, no matter what audio was playing, was sort of locked/looped, like a beatbox

I checked and rechecked video settings, cuz the card on my PC sucks.

WIERDEST PART OF IT: I could and can play Grand Theft Auto IV just fine on my PC, but not on laptop, obviously. HOwever, L4D2 runs fine on laptop, but not on PC.

CrazyRabbit helped me fix it.

Turns out, since I have an NVIDIA Graphics Card on my PC, the NVIDIA Control Panel (which I didn't notice cuz I removed the tray icon) wanted to "force" settings onto L4D2. I could swear everything was ok there before, but it wasn't, it was off. When I set NVIDIA control panel to "performance," (not appearance)-favoring settings, it must have done it.

SO,

Huge process hogs like "Anti-Aliasing," or "Page/Pool Memory," "Vertical SYNC," etc., were set to bizarre settings, like "high."

I changed them to medium or low. L4D2 now runs at optimum performance.

MANY THANKS to CR for this fix. Now I can play on my PC again.

EDIT: One of my troubleshooting steps was to fix the video display driver, which I reinstalled... that COULD have set everything the way it wanted to, not what was right for my pc. (Another CR Observation)

2. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

3. erik

erik MG Donor

4. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

5. Penguin

Penguin Guest