1. Click here to join our community discord server.

BSOD

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by atreyucore, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

SSD's are regularly down under $1/GB. They are becoming a good deal.

Here are some TODAY ONLY Amazon deals.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000816791&tag=dealswoot-20

Yeah an SSD is not a requirement, but right now it is usually the slowest component in our machines. So moving to an SSD should yield a pretty good improvement in performance.

just FYI if you need it. Western Digital has 3 main lines of HDDs. Here is how I understand it:
    Green - low power and low performance
    Blue - medium power and medium performance
    Black - lotsa power and best performance
    more reading:http://products.wdc.com/library/matrix/ENG/2178-771112.pdf

2. atreyucore

atreyucore Senior Member

ty i didnt know about the black blue and green. I'd like a SSD but i dont want to spend something over $100 for it considering im just going to buy another HDD to cover the other GB's causing me to spend more. If the SDD is cheap enough though i might pick one up. Should i worry about cache size? Sorry don't really know much about hard drives

3. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

I believe you should be able to use your current(bad) hdd as the backup drive and a new hdd or ssd for your O/S and programs. It you run chkdsk /r to repair or isolate bad sectors.

4. atreyucore

atreyucore Senior Member

ran chkdsk /r 3 times. Sectors are still bad

5. New hard drive it is.

6. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

I wasn't suggesting running chkdsk and then keeping it as your primary. You need to replace the HDD, but you should be able to keep it slaved as a 2nd hdd in your PC. You might find corrupt files occasionally if chkdsk is not isolating the bad sectors.. \

edit: nvm probably better to scrap that old one and just get new..

7. atreyucore

atreyucore Senior Member

new one it is lol

8. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest