1. Click here to join our community discord server.

(Veteran) Magnum needs a buff

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by Guest, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

After doing some maths, and playing with it in game, I've come to the conclusion that the Magnum really needs a small damage boost. Having read that is was nerfed a while ago, I feel like it's time for it to be boosted a bit, simply because now there is very little point to using it, as it's DPS is worse than even one pistol.

For the sake of consistency, lets say I click 7 times per second with a pistol.

One pistol shot, standard, is 11 damage.
    Double that from Hawk Eye upgrade to 22.
    Now add the Vet buff, and the damage max is 88.
    88 * 7 = 616 DPS.

Now for the Magnum, with a fire time of 0.3 standard, reduced to ~0.25 from Fast Trigger, so lets say 4 shots a second.

Magnum shot is 30 damage.
    Double from Hawk Eye makes 60.
    Vet buff makes max damage 117.
    117 * 4 = 468 DPS.

As well as this, if we consider damage per magazine, a single pistol has (at max) 1848 where as the Magnum has only 1287.

Now, obviously 7 clicks per second is insanely fast, and not everyone can consistently click that fast, but even if it were 5 clicks per second, the pistols' DPS would only slightly fall short of the Magnum. As well as this, the Magnum's smaller capacity means you are going to be reloading a lot more than pistols, but not doing as much damage.

My proposed change, would be making the buff range from 200-250%, giving the Magnum min damage per shot of 120, and max of 150, increasing its DPS to a respectable 600. Or, alternatively, increasing the base magnum damage to 40, which would have similar effects.

Thanks for reading.

2. mh-mh

mh-mh Junior Member

where to get the vet buff?

3. erik

erik MG Donor

Its auto-equpped if you are in a clan that bought "veteran pistols."

I'm on the fence about increasing damage; if we do it will only have to be for coop. The main reason I'm on the fence about the issue is that coop is already too easy.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I was thinking about difficulty, and I based this on more the Magnum being balanced, rather than making gameplay easier.

Though I have been recently thinking about coop difficulty as well, such as if there are at least 12 players with average level 150, perhaps enabling realism mode? Though I'm sure some would disagree, it would improve teamwork, having people call out when they get jumped, for example.

5. Hawk

Hawk Member

I think that magnum should have more power than pistols do anyways. Magnum was put into the game having more power than pistol but on the down side having less bullets. I agree it makes no since to even use magnum if pistol has more power and bullets. Coop is very easy and quite boring some times. It needs more challenge and teamwork, but realism may add those things but people would rage quit and complain when they die. I would even consider ironman mode but even more rage quits and complaints