1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

The Importance of Mains

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by Kamikaze901, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Kamikaze901

Kamikaze901 Member

I just played through 6 maps where zero mains made it to the saferoom. As I sat wondering how all these idiots just bought the game today and found this wonderful group of servers to play on ;), I had a thought about the keyman. I was wondering if it could be modified so that only mains can unlock the saferoom door. If all the mains die then the door is unlocked automatically. Just in case all the mains are low levels.

2. Raised in Hell

Raised in Hell Senior Member

What if 3 mains are dead and the last main is behind somewhere and also is a low level while 3 or 4 players are standing in front of the safehouse waiting for the last main and then the last main gets smoked and incapcitated but the smoker let him go so now the main is down and he is trying to crawl but in the mean time, those 3-4 survivors who have made it in front of the safe house r getting constantly attacked by the other SI and in the end, all of the survivors die because the last main was alive but was way behind..

3. {BA} L.

{BA} L. Guest

Well then the 3-4 survivors shouldn't have left him behind.

4. Raised in Hell

I agree but i'm sure you've seen the team play on the VS, it is in shambles but in some cases where the main is a really low level and most of the team rushes so i try as much as possible to stay back and help the people at the back and i end up dying too because my team has rushed forward and i'm left behind to help myself and the low level guy to survive and the low level players are too weak so in that sense, i don't think this is a good idea.

Or you can look at it from this prospective .. Normally when the survivors see a paranoid tank, they try to rush so suppose 3 players have managed to rush past the tank but non of them are the mains so they will end up dying as well because there is no way the survivors can kill the paranoid tank and the only way of surviving in that situation is to rush past him ..

5. Chocobo

Chocobo <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

I think we should just get rid of mains (Or make everyone mains?)

They just cause problems and this is a pretty good solution :)

6. littlebrother

littlebrother MG Donor

There will be no teamwork then.. there will be a tendency that players will save their own skins and rush for the saferoom since there is no mains in the first place or since everyone is main.. and this is my view from what i generally see in versus..

the only time there is teamwork in versus... when one team is made up of players that usually like helping others.. and when these players are scrambleed in the same team.. they always win in points or the chapter itself.. and then some player will spoilt it by switching to this team and ruin the gameplay..

7. vishus puss

vishus puss MG Donor

I can remember a mod where it modified the score to L4D1 scoring. Possibly edit the scoring so that every player gets distance? Just a thought.

8. Chocobo

I must be understanding you wrong, you act as if there is teamwork there now. I have yet to play on a VS server where there is teamwork. :P

9. littlebrother

littlebrother MG Donor

there is.. played with vishuss before in LA.. he had a whole team of players that prefer teamwork :P

teamwork only happens if a few good players get scrambled in one team.. and its hard to beat them when they stay together and it feels bad when the team your on does the opposite of the other team.. and the more you will want for a scramble..

10. vishus puss

vishus puss MG Donor

Most the time I stick in the back to rescue those who get left behind! We end up collecting alot of people who get left behind which makes us stronger! *duh* Then all of a sudden newbs realize you are playing teamwork and they'll stick too! It is like a disease or something!

But there are times I will rush too if I want rambo or something. :P

11. Raised in Hell

Choco, you should play with blood, Yo and me and we won't let u die unless we all die :P

12. The Real Youngblood

The Real Youngblood Game Server Moderator

I am assuming you are all talking about Points Reloaded but I have a quick question. Does one get points based on individual performance or team performance? Is there a way to provide points or toasters or gems or lucky charms or whatever you guys go after based mainly on how the team does? How many make to the safe room then smaller (much smaller) points for if you make it to the safe room and how many SI/CI you kill...etc.

13. Chocobo

I will try, but we have tried this before, remember?

I will be playing with all of you for one round, then next round I am the only person on the whole team that gets switched to the other team :P, and then we get owned by you guys.

14. Kitties

Kitties Head Administrator

Well now, don't jump to conclusions. There are still some of us who care about teamwork :)

15. Kamikaze901

Kamikaze901 Member

Teamwork happens, it's just very rare. But when it does everyone on the team usually stays and we wouldn't have people team switching. I think we all have been frustrated by the lack of teamwork. And if 4 non mains make to the saferoom they each get 25 points. If one main makes it the team gets 125. So who is really more important?

16. [lol] Yö

[lol] Yö Junior Member

I only just found out about the mains thing when i was about lvl 115; before that i tried to make sure everyone got to the saferoom, because every single one is important (even lvl 1's). I made some bad decisions going back through chokepoints, trying to rescue non-main low levels. But if a new players see that they get helped, they might stick around longer/come back to the MG servers. Noone likes dieing in the first 10 seconds and then waiting 10 minutes to play.

Once ALL Non-main rushers get instaslayed by admins, they'll start thinking twice to rush off next time.

17. vishus puss

vishus puss MG Donor

Need more !instaslays! :P

18. Raised in Hell

The problem with instant slay is that it will cause more problems if we start slaying every rusher on the servers because people will not accept that it was their fault they were rushing, instead they will start complaining and rage quitting the servers. Most of the time, there is half of the team rushing from both sides so if we start slaying 5 or more peoples from the server then it won't be fun for anyone because the rest of the survivors will die. Slay should be only done if 2 or 3 people rush to the safehouse on their own.

Also, if someone is a main, it does not give them the right to rush and leave others to die at the back just because they are a main. I believe rushing should be done as a last resort or in a case when there is a paranoid tank because you know you can't kill it.

There are other measures which we can take, such as teleporting the rushers back to their team and anti-rushing which teleports the player back to the safehouse where he started the map from. If we do any of these then the rushers will complain but slowly slowly, they will learn and this way, they won't bombard the forum with their lousy complaints.

19. Kamikaze901

Kamikaze901 Member

That's why I came up with my idea. Doesn't a mod or admin need to be around to slay and teleport people? If so I doubt there will be one available on every server 24-7. If mains can only open the door then you can't rush off and leave. If you rush as a main you will die also. People will be forced to stick together to ensure that someone will be around to open the door. Because we have some smart players and I'm sure the infected will incap a main far away and leave him to die to get the rest. If you stick together then you live.

20. Raised in Hell

But teleporting and slaying isn't done that often on the VS servers as you may think and if we do go ahead with your idea then trust me their will be more people complaining about the idea than the people in the favour of it. I have come to a conclusion that people like things to be 'easy' for them and if anything which requires more teamplay, they start complaining. I'll give you few examples to demonstrate what i mean ..

1) When the new survivor system took place where you cant use your knife to kill the SI on top of you, You can't use med kit to self-revive which will also revive other players around you or same with the pills etc people started complaining

2) The new heal system for the Tank where you need 50 bounty to heal, this was introduced because high level tanks were too strong so now more team play is required to kill the survivors but what happend? More complaints

3) Now a days, people are complaining about the spitters being too strong with their 75% speed goo reduction but this also requires more teamplay but do people want teamplay? Hell no they don't, they want everything easy which brings us back to more complaints. These are few of the recent complaints which people have been banging on about but they all have were designed to match the true nature of the game on which this game was developed == Teamplay.

If this idea was to be accepted then people will post more about how silly this new system is instead of saying how wonderful this idea is. Apart from the minor PR gamers, most of the people don't even know the meaning of teamplay, all they know is, how do i get quick exp,points,bounty and levels. I'm not saying your idea is bad, i'm just saying what the people will think of this idea.