1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Survival Server?

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by LEGEND, Aug 16, 2010.

1. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Yes, I know its an outdated and old idea, but some people that connect to MG would love to see a 20 slotted Survival server. I know for a fact that it's hard to get a Gold Medal on any survival situation (I haven't even got the achievement "Legendary Survivor" yet :o ), but with an army of 20 people, it should be easy as counting to 10 (OK, counting to 5 then).
    A L4D2 Survival (versus) server would be a great idea, as a constant stream of hopefulls will be pouring in to get medals and I'm sure they will falter under the stress of hugely revamped hordes, empowered Special Infected and Multiple Tanks, that I'm sure Marvel, SuperBunny and now even Masacrator would employ in their ever increasing ways to kill off a massive squad of survivors - however there is the case of using bugs and exploits on maps which could ruin gameplay, and also, there is also the question of campers, do we really want up to 20 people to camp in one place for extended periods of time, obliterating the horde as they do so?

Maybe, with a little modification, a survival server on MG might be a fun server to play on. Yes, I understand that Survival is, and I quote:
    I'm not saying that we can change that idealism from the L4D gamers, but I am saying we can be the one's to re-configure Survival (versus) to whole new levels, and then, possibly, just possibly we can change that quote to something like:
    Certainly, Honorcode can get involved and make a powerful mod which enables survivors to gain massive powers and destroy the opposition with 50% more bullet damage, gain sights which enable them to see SI for short periods of time or even meelee weapons enticed with venom from the Cacaroocoo Viper who's habitat is the outer Mongolian Forest named "Great Gobi A", that kills a tank with one swipe. 8-)

In all serious honesty, Survival show the gritty mean streak of Left 4 Dead's Directors which is how surviving is in real life: tough. You don't wanna just stand there and let a boomer vomit all over you but you have to cooperate as a team and pull through each and every tank that is thrown at you. This is what I aim to get out of a Survival server - the pure, hard-working, "I gotta kill that tank over there because it means the difference between this team surviving or dieing" type of team-work.

But, seriously, with MG at the helm of the world's largest community base for any L4D games and with the amount of experience each and every admin has, and with the substantially copious amount of fun these servers are, it is fairly promising to say that we would have the best Survival servers around.

Woah, my English teacher would've been proud with this.... :D

2. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

Re: Survival Server?

|MG| L????D: write a comment please
    |MG| Popshotz: Yes sir
    |MG| L????D: A "WTF" will be sufficient

But seriously, Legend has made a versus survival server seem irresistible.
    I hope, one day we can welcome players to the best survival server on L4D :mrgreen:

3. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

I appreciate the thought's and idea's, but.... we have been working days & nights to get survival versus running on l4d2 with 20 ppl and it didn't work. At some point people always got mass-kicked from the server, usually during map-change. Auto map rotation just doesn't work and we can't have 20 ppl voting for a different campaign or to restart the level, it all has to be automated and that's where the problem lies. Valve just so screwed versus survival (it requires lobby's) that it's almost impossible to run a decent modded survival server, that's why u don't see them anywhere.

Even when you get it running I have seriously doubts if it will get popular. We played a couple of rounds one time 10 v 10 and I must say that I got bored pretty fast. There's no goal, you just camp and shoot and after like 30 minutes it's enough for everybody and they want to play versus again. Same goes btw for all the different mutations. Even realism versus got 2 players a day, now that I changed it to just perks versus it has been full all night.

So to conclude, I would love to run one but technically it's really hard to do it. It will probably cost a lot of time again and we will face the same issues again.

4. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

MG 10 vs 10 VS Survival did run till a map change, when it randomely crashed, personaly vs sur 20 player sounds great, but i had it runing for a day while trying to find a fix, but the server never filled, most of the time it had 3 - 4 players in there. ye i do like it, but it gets boring

5. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Yup, I hear your comments. Survival servers are always a pain to maintain (hey, woah, it rhymes!), due to the fact that one round is enough to make people rage and act stupidly.
    Buggy? I get that too. One round of survival the other day caused the server I was playing on to crash instantaneously, due to the large amount of zombies it has to process.

As for a Survival server on MG, I think its a non-mover. SuperBunny and Marvel, if you've said you have tried to make a Survival server work and it's failed, that's good enough for me.

Question: Survival Server?
    Answer: NO, IT WONT WORK - SO GOODNIGHT!

At least I got an A* for that post though :lol:

6. DeathLoL

DeathLoL Member

B-
    I'd play survival servers, too bad they wouldn't work =/
    Although I said to myself I'd think of an idea of a server and so far no good...
    Perhaps I cannot be trusted

7. Ricox

Ricox Member

What about 14 player co-op?

8. Kalei

Kalei Guest

Marvel wants to stick with the versus format.

9. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

okay, at the moment i know about 20+ guys in real life, that has l4d1 or l4d2 and they HATES to play as infected.. they bought to game only to annihilate zombies with or without wepaons..

either, what we need is 20 players coop server.. or 20 players normal survial.. (on l4d1 it would be more popular since l4d2 has plenty of them.)

and only way to get the server popular, is to get people faivorite it.. and that is done by keeping the server filled for the first days.

We have most popular versus servers. but what we lack, is server(s) to offer other types of players.

10. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

I think we sould get a sniper: Ghost warrior server, and then plan to mod it, City (snipers developers) have ditched the game, leaveing a few server, yesterday they had 3 on there, with a total of 5 in all, i made a dedicated server from my pc, it got full in 17 sec's, the players are there, but it does need moding, already spoke with honnorcode tho, its all new code, so thats a downside.

11. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

I agree 100% thats a fresh game. we really should expand ourselves to another game. Sniper Ghost warrior is perfect choice :P so is CSS and CoD5

12. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

Its really really hard to begin with this game. First, its a new totallyy engine so its functions are still hidden and unknown, second the ConVar (Configurable Variables) system in left 4 dead 2 was pretty simple to bypass, but this one has a lot of hacking protections and also it isnt using the entity system, it uses a particular engine and animation patherns so its totally different. Third, the dedicated format is not as left4dead2 or source games from valve, this is an entirely new game and it cant be supported by sourcemod.

So, its almost impossible, sourcemod ned nearly 5 years to be stable (Since Half life 2) and they were also a huge team. We don't really have much knowledge of advanced C++ coding using void, functions, inserting them into the game and hoping they are stable.

Sorry, but it isnt possible right now :P.