1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Suggestion to increase maximum player count on all COOP servers.

Discussion in 'Suggestions Box' started by Surrendering, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Surrendering

Surrendering New Member

Hi, first time posting a thread, just started not very long ago, but anyway, I have a suggestion, because I had found it hard to go into Asia COOP server all the time, with only a maximum of 16 players, why not increase the maximum player count from 16 to 32? I believe not only me, but some of us here also face this problem daily. Wants to play but unable to due to having only 16 players.
    I know this will affect the difficulty and stuff, but wouldn't 16 be too low?? What are your thoughts?

2. raz

raz Head Administrator Staff Member

Stability, is one of the main factors.

The more players there are, the less SI there are, as the players take their slots.
    Hardly any tanks would spawn etc.

It's just not feasible imo.

3. timkit

timkit MG Donor

Well... unfortunately first off doing the maximum player count increase from 16 to 32 players will not work at all. Stability becomes less and starts becoming an issue with more than 16 players in-game, assuming admin events were happening at the time. Since you know about the difficulty, I won't go too much into detail here but in terms of the challenge, it will be less fun for everyone if the infected don't pose much of a challenge at all.

If I was talk about this from the stand point of someone trying to get in for ASIA COOP, I know how frustrating it can sometimes be when ASIA COOP does have a free slot, 1 moment later someone else takes that slot and you're not on the server. In the best interest of most players, it would be better to be patient and go do something else. If it means playing on another server and waiting for your turn to play on the server you want to go on, then so be it. Don't worry you won't be queueing for the server forever so it's not as bad it may look. usually a minimum of an average of 10 to 15 minutes wait time is all that is needed in most cases for queueing.

In my opinion, I would be more inclined to say that below 8 players is when it gets to the point of being low. Below 3-4 players could also be considered a low point due to the fact that you will not be able to do any quests that involve collecting quest items (given they get disabled or have their chances reduced to 0 with the player amount below 3-4).

This is just my 2 long cents of thought ^^

4. Surrendering

Surrendering New Member

Is it possible for them to increase it to 24 players maximum and still keep the number of SI on par with it? Since difficulty is one of the factors itself, maybe we could actually increase the number of SI spawns so that it can be difficult for 24 players too? The difficulty could also maintain at expert itself. So it's just like adding 8 players, with extra 8 SI's or so. Would this be a good idea to balance out difficulty itself, as for stability, yes I do know that it is hard to stabilise more than 16 players itself too. I'm not really sure as I had seen some other servers being able to host 24 players and is not that laggy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  5. Surrendering

Surrendering New Member

What about increasing the limit from 16 to 24 players, and at the same time increase the SI's by 8+, balancing it.
    For tanks, maybe guarantee at least a tier 2 or so to spawn when there are more than 16+ players?

6. Mute

Mute Head Administrator Staff Member

I already left a message stating the reasoning behind it on the Steam Group page but I'll echo it here:
    By default on Expert we have 16 survivors, 15 Specials and a spare slot for Tank spawns. Increasing survivors to 24 would lower Specials to a mere 7, heavily breaking the balance. There isn't a way to get around the 32 client limit as a lot of the game is hardcoded with the limit in mind.

One thing that might help is if people played on other servers while one is full instead of waiting to queue, since I'd say for the majority of players the ping difference to LA isn't unplayable, but what happens is that no-one wants to play on a server with low amounts of people and would rather just wait and queue, when if everyone who was queueing would just play it'd be fairly likely more people would come and populate the server.

Chicken and raz like this.
  7. Surrendering

Surrendering New Member

I see, thanks for answering my questions.