1. Click here to join our community discord server.

SSD Issues

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by marvel, Jul 16, 2013.

1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Been having SSD issues since I moved from regular harddrive to SSD.

First a Crucial M4 256M about 2 years ago. PC would blue screen everytime and reboot, at which point the SATA port didn't find the SSD no longer. Had to power off / power on to make it appear again. Then it lasted for 30 minutes and boom, blue screen again same thing happened.

So removed it and replaced it with a Plextor 256M3 SSD. Figured that would be better. Re-installed and it ran like a charm for a year now. Now suddenly the problem starts to re-appear again. My PC is always on and when I wake up in the morning it sits on a blue screen. It doesn't happen as frequently as 2 years ago though, but it made me realize it might not be the SSD.

What I can remember is when it happened with the last SSD it was also hot outside like right now. So perhaps it's an overheating issue?

So replaced the SSD to another hdd bay where it got space to cool down, switched it to the Marvell controller. Updated all firmwares, SSD + Bios and boom again blue screen on the Marvell driver.

Moved the SSD back to the first port on the Intel controller (it was on the 5th first). Moved 2 normal hdds and the bluray player to the Intel controller as well, disabled the Marvell and JMicron controller all together in the bios.

Now suddenly everything seems fine? No more blue screens. Makes me think there was nothing wrong with the M4 as well.

So could it be that moving it from port 5 to port 1 fixed the issue? That seems weird. It ran allright for a year or so.

Any recommended configurations when using SSDs? Which port would you attach it to and where would you attach the bluray drive and the mechanical drives?

Motherboard is an Asus Maximus IV Extreme btw.

2. atreyucore

atreyucore Senior Member

SSD's have a shorter life span than regular hard drives. What I would do is install the OS on the SSD so it remains fast and use another hard drive for storage running both. Computer will never slow down

3. erik

erik MG Donor

There is a CMOS setting called hot plug. When it's enabled, it DISABLES slumber state for that port... so set your hot plug to enabled for the port you wanna connnect your SSD to. (also is known to fix various SSD-related issues, hot plug, that is...)

I had an ROG G74Sx that I read-up on a lot on the ASUS site...

support.asus.com and
    rog.asus.com are two great resources.

Here is a similar issue (not too far from yours,) where ASUS addressed it directly... BSOD's / SSD's, that is. My guess is it's power-related in the end.

http://support.asus.com/faq/detail....n&os=&no=7807F0B6-C7B3-DA53-5310-51810D8AD552

4. Scorpion

Scorpion Banned

Erm...i'm quite certain that's wrong.

While newer model SSDs haven't been in the field long enough to give real-life numbers, accelerated life testing shows SSDs will last for years and years and years longer than mechanical hard drives. After all, moving parts, like inside a hard drive, have a finite lifespan. Chips in the SSDs have no moving parts. In addition, SSDs create much less heat in operation than do rotating disks, and heat is the primary enemy of electronic components.

The expected lifespan of a mechanical hard drive is three to five years. While many last longer, any time you get past five years is a bonus, and shouldn't be trusted with critical data. SSDs are listed as lasting up to 2 million hours of use, which is probably an overstatement (just like mechanical hard drives say they run 500,000 hours).

That said, SSDs lack the two main killers of mechanical drives: movement, and heat. The more movement and heat in a component, the lower the expected life. SSDs should therefore run five to ten times longer, but "should" doesn't always mean "will" so take these numbers, as all vendor numbers, under advisement. But SSDs will last much longer than rotating disks.

Saying that i've never had a SSD or a HDD fail on me yet.

5. marvel

That could be it, I disconnected all drivers and reconnected them. Maybe by coincidence I used a single sata power cable for the sdd drive. I'll go check it. Thanks :)

6. HighVolt@ge

HighVolt@ge Senior Member

I agree here, this is how mine is set up. You might wanna move all temp folders and document folders to the storage drive ;) .

I have a Intel 80 gig SSD, pretty happy with it. Altho my mobo is an old Asus crosshair so I had to tinker with it to get it working good.

And WOW to never loosing a hard drive Scorp... I tend to go through more powersupplies and dvd burners with hard drives pulling in third.

7. erik

erik MG Donor

Am I the only one who doesn't even use an optical drive anymore? I don't even have one connected lol

8. JavCube

JavCube MG Donor

In my country some still consider the optical drives a must-have device... The don''t trust Pen Drives yet, lol... *poking the computer with a stick*

9. marvel

Perhaps once every 2 years to reinstall Windows as I always lose my pen drives :)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

10. erik

erik MG Donor

What ended up being the cause / core of your initial issue?

11. Duncan

Duncan New Member

I got an Maximus IV Extreme Z that shares the same aditional marvell sata3 controler, it's a buggy chip and its a known generator of BSOD and crappy performance, you should always use the intel chipset ports for ssd (and that goes for all intel boards regardless of the aditional sata controllers that may have), needless to say you should use AHCI mode from the begining too. This issue was widely discused a few years back when a lot of people with motherboards that only suported sata3 by that marvel controler got screwed because of this particular issue. SSD can't overheat because it doesn't generate any sifnificant amount of heat (most of the time less than 30C), and even if you keep the drive in a hot spot it will not make any difference.

Regarding the lifespan it depends on the type of memory (SLC, MLC y TLC), but no matter wich one you get, all of then will last much more than any HDD. TRIM will help you keep the performance of the disk more stable and probably add a few more years of life, but even if you don't use it the chances are your ssd will be obsolete before it beggins to fail.

If you want to avoid unnecessary writing cycles to the drive, you can always disable prefetch and superfetch among other things.

Back to the MIVE board, marvell can be used to run HDD without any major issues. But since HDD never reach the sata2 bandwidth I recomend you to use the intel sata2 ports first, those have better performance in sata2.

12. marvel

I still don't know. Like I said it was running fine for a year or so. I just disconnected all drives (2 hdd's, 1 ssd, 1 bluray) and reconnected them to the Intel 6g ports so:

port 1: ssd
    port 2: bluray
    port 3: hdd
    port 4: hdd

Then I went to the Bios, disabled the jmicron and the marvell controller. I just checked and the SSD still shares a power cable with the HDDs but the problem is gone and has been gone for 2/3 days right now so I'm very happy.

I still have that Crucial M4 here which probably isn't busted as well but it's only 128 GB so I think I'll give that to someone :)

13. marvel

Yeah I just disabled the pagefile as well. I got enough memory anyway (16g).

I totally got rid of the Marvell controller, disabled it in the Bios along with the JMicron and I'm glad to :)

14. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Ha, I used to do that too but then because of overclocking I needed a pagefile to save the dump files when I get BSOD, so I just move it to a mechanical drive.

Remember only the red ones are sata III. There's no need to disable the those chips, JMicron only works in the 2 external sata ports, and marvell works with the 2 sata3 ports above the intel ones. The Marvel port only causes issues with SSD drives (in single and RAID mode), I personally tested this chip a lot with both ssd and HDD in single and RAID mode so I know it should work ok with mechanical drives (I used 2 Seagate barracuda there for over a year without any problems), but if you are mad and feel like permanently banning the chip for causing you issues that's OK too :)