1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Protecting yourself against DoS attacks

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HonorCode, Nov 11, 2013.

1. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

Hello players! I want to talk about a recent issue that rapidly seems to be growing more serious day by day: the famous DoS attacks.

Not talking about the attacks that we receive as a server host (We get DDoS, waaay more complicated and massive), but the type of attacks that malicious steam users launch against others to gain advantage in some games or to take revenge in some cases.

We've been investing a lot to protect the servers from getting hit by the attacks and this may trigger attacks against the players (as the original attacks against us will stop working).

So, what is a DoS? I'm sure you can rapidly google it out, so I'll be brief:

A DoS attack happens when a malicious computer sends a huge amount of data at a huge rate that may leave your modem, router or computer unresponsive as it has to process too many packages at a time (like when the CPU hangs). If your system is in good conditions, you will still experience LAG that will leave your games unplayable.

Nowadays, all you need to launch a DoS attack is to get the IP of a steam user.

I want to list a few recommendations that you should consider in order to protect yourself (avoid them to get your IP),

-Know how's on your steam list. Don't just add anyone you can find without knowing they don't have malicious intentions as this allows an easy way to get your IP.
    -Don't join to custom servers that you don't know every well (they obviously see your IP and can use it against you).
    -Make your profile private and let only friends see it.

If you are starting to get hit on a regular basis, do this:

-Clean your steam friend list
    -Make your profile complete private
    -Uninstall SKYPE
    -When you play games, set your status to OFFLINE

If this doesn't help try getting a VPN provider and/or dynamic IP service to quickly change of IPs if you get hit.

HELP US RAISE THE VOICE: Report the issue of steam easily leaking IP addresses from players trough the steam support section at the steam website. If we all report the issues, we may as well increase the chances of they passing the info to the developers.

Happy gaming everyone! :smiley-signs098:

2. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Hopefully no-one has to end up buying VPN or to hide himself just because he pissed off wrong people.

Thanks for the guide :)

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

3. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

Can you clarify how to do the following? Steam keeps changing shit around and it's hard for me to navigate:

-Make your profile complete private
    -When you play games, set your status to OFFLINE

4. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

In Steam open View > Settings > Friends. Un-check: Automatically sign into Friends when I start Steam.

If you're already signed in click in Steam under friends > Offline.

To make your profile private hover on your name in Steam (next to Community). Click profile, click My Privacy settings.

Profile status (who can see your profile): Click friends or friends of friends (I have it on the latter).
    Comment permissions: Click Friends only.
    Inventory: Friends of friends.

Check: Keep your Steam Gift inventory private, regardless of your inventory setting above.

Save changes

done :)