1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Ping Limit

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by Mikeedude, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mikeedude

Mikeedude Junior Member

I'm presuming you have no ping kick limit in place as I do see peeps on there with 1000+ ping .
    Is this for a reason, as it can be annoying when someone joins with that bad a ping and so raises everybody elses, and lags the game a bit.
    I must admit though its rare that it makes a huge unplayable lag.
    cheers mikeedude

2. mackydude

mackydude MG Donor

Re: Ping Limit

The ping limit is 700, although I'm not sure if it automatically kicks. You can vote kick the player however.

3. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

theres is no automtic kick for high ping, but all |MG| admins will kick any one that was 700+ ping

Its a good idea to add admins, to get any server probs sorted out ASAP, for me and marvel, we can sort out all the servers with out being ingame.

4. Mikeedude

Mikeedude Junior Member

Cheers guys, vote kicking always seems a bit harsh, i think I'm too polite for my own good. :D

5. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

6. DeathLoL

DeathLoL Member

It's a bit problematic to use auto kick for ping, Since I'm on a vacation now, I have no problems playing l4d at Sunday in the morning, Usually, all the players have 400+ pings, and I've seen my ping get stuck at 1007, We were able to play.

7. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

You might have been able to play at 1007 ping, but other players lag too. Hence the kick at 700+ ping.
    You should probably try and do something about your high ping if it's consistent, maybe do a speed test on http://www.speedtest.net and then, when playing L4D only be running Steam and the game and see if it helps at all.

8. DeathLoL

DeathLoL Member

My ping is usually 100~200
    I meant that on sunday morning, my ping could get up to 1007
    Although today in the morning my ping was 500, which made me quit and come back 1 hour l8er when the ping was 100 again

9. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

500 ping isn't too bad. You should check the pings of other players too, if yours suddenly goes up to 500-600 theres a good chance someone else has 700+, in which case you should try asking them to lower it or votekicking them. Hopefully, after the player with high ping has gone, the rest of the players ping should decrease.

10. Ricox

Ricox Member

Fact is that your ping isnt supposed to anyhow affect the ping of others. High ping means you have bad connection with the server, but it doesn't interrupt connection of other players anyhow, so there really is no need for ping kicker as administrators can deal with the laggy players themselves.

11. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

It's not the ping that lags.. its the packet loss.. a guy with 300 ping could lag 100x more than a guy with 800 ping.. too bad that there's no way to get packet loss status.. thats why 700+ ping is not allowed.. (for incase.) most times, 700+ pingers have packet loss. but its inaccurate anyway since you cant really tell has this player packet loss or not?

700 ping is fine for me, as long the player dosent have any packet loss. but i cant know that, so i will act instead (asking them to lower first, but if it's 1000+ that's instant kick or 10 mins ban) =/

12. Ricox

Ricox Member

Write status in console, you can see packet loss there. I think we should kick anyone that has packet loss higher than ~20-30.

13. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

Ok, So I can see the need for this in order that one player does not spoil the game for
    the other players. I normally have a ping of 250ms(ish!) and that is normally fine to play
    with so long as the majority of the other players dont have ping's of 75 or lower :)

It should be taken into consideration, that, at time the ping increases due to server load
    increase, ie when x3 Tanks or Horde spawning, if there is a way to check for this, as I can
    see multiple players getting booted at these times, would be very frustrating.

Also, there has been times when I have looked at the ping's when what seems excessive
    lagging has started, after there has been none before and seen ping's of 1200ms+ on one
    person and im thinking 'glad that's not me' :) only to look back 15-20 minuets later and find
    that im now the one that is pinging 1200ms+ :D and again after another 15-20 minutes I
    look again to see that a different person is now pinging that high.

At times it seems that the excessive ping moves from person to person, (for what ever reason),
    and then moves off, either to another player or go's completely, with out map or spawn change.

14. Ricox

Ricox Member

You're talking like other player's ping affects your ping. It doesn't affect it at all, ping just shows how good connection the player has with the host.

15. IronWarrior

IronWarrior MG Donor

That is very true, I been trying to educate players and friends about this for a very long time. If the server starts to "lag" that is because of the server setup and the content installed, as well what is going on in the game at the current time.

16. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

Well that's was not my intention, just trying to describe the way it was on
    that day.
    It may not effect other players directly but it does have an effect on them
    indirectly, players with excessive Ping are lagging so bad that you can play
    with them, they can't play properly and constantly get incapped or are unable
    to be a useful member of the team and because of this, it ruins the game for
    the other players.