1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

New server

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by SViper, Dec 26, 2013.

1. SViper

SViper Junior Member

2. SViper

SViper Junior Member

What is a problem? And Helm's Deep is Survivor map.

3. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Setting up a server just for huge payouts and easy levelling isn't a logical move.

4. SViper

SViper Junior Member

For payouts they can made extra donation and who said that server will be easy difficulty.

5. erik

erik MG Donor

Some of the maps you listed became VERY tiresome for the custom map folks, or gamers who dowloaded them.

HOWEVER, I think this is a wonderful, well-explained and totally FUN idea.

The major issues are this:
    - clientside downloading is REQUIRED (makes it hard to locate)
    - the workshop is hard to figure out for first-time gamers downloading
    - there are difficult-to-solve workshop-related issues

Regardless, I think it's a really fun idea. People need to give the workshop a chance and be willing to evolve from the "old method" of downloading maps.

The last time we hosted custom maps, I feel it went well. Granted, non-peak hours made it hard to get bodies in those slots. However, gamers who would otherwise not have found MG, found MG. Totally support this idea. It's also variety for the COOP gamers who are simply tired of the same old / same old. Another fringe benefit for the community is that it encourages Steam Group usage.

6. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Yeah we did this numerous times, the server was mostly empty. Like Erik says there are too much issues with running custom maps and when you finally have a full server it usually crashes and people don't come back.

7. SViper

SViper Junior Member

Exactly those 13 old campaigns sometimes become a totally boring, so that's why I suggest this. And good to hear you agree with that.

For workshop I never use this, because I used to do manually. But when now there is WS those maps could be easier to get for other people. But still will do this manually, not WS.

What causes that full server crash?

8. erik

erik MG Donor

There is a list of about 7 or 8 major things that happen.

From what I observed, the biggest issue is that the maps have pre-programmed / built-in director settings that are out of normal parameters. The maps aren't "stress-tested," so there are lots of prop_physics entities, intensely-detailed maps, and all kinds of other stuff. Even horde sizes are customized. So, when we apply the Points Reloaded plugin, it doesn't always "agree" with the custom maps. I witnessed a million crashes on the custom server, and there was always major action going on (or a PR-related thing, like a teleporting tank in a finale sequence... that kinda thing) right before we crashed.

That can be trial-and-error fixed, though. The workshop-related crashes included things, like... as soon as an addon campaign ends, the server bugs out. That was somehow fixed. But, with every thing that is fixed, something takes it's place.

We don't encourage the 3rd-party download method if we host custom campaign servers again. This is primarliy because gamers need to adapt-to and learn the workshop. We may not be computer experts, but we at least need to roll with things. Plus, things are always becoming more complicated... eventually the "old way" will be error-addled, forcing us to use the workshop. Granted, there are still wonderful maps to use "the old way." We don't have the interest or the resources to provide support for non-workshop related client download problems. It just inverts the whole concept of progress and makes us stagnant with issues we shouldn't even be dealing wish... unless using the workshop. So, long story short (too late,) if we do this again, we'll encourage people to use the workshop or at least try it.

9. SViper

SViper Junior Member

So, because if we use WS there is chance most of problem could gone. Okay, then I be waiting until you decide to do server again. BTW if we have maps do we still need use WS?

10. dikew

dikew Member

Nope, no need for that, as long as you already have a map in your game then you dont need to subscribe it in workshop as it will give you multiple maps.

11. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

However, any items subscribed to on the workshop get automatically updated if the maps get updated. Depending on the version the server uses, you may have outdated maps meaning you wouldn't be able to connect until you had the correct versions.