1. Click here to join our community discord server.

monitorproblems

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by joerve, Jan 31, 2011.

1. joerve

joerve Senior Member

I have had this monitorproblem in the last 6 months were my monitor doesnt go on at start up. I have to restart my computer several times and then it goes on.

Now I thought it was the monitor but when I bought a new one I still have the same problem, so the problem is my computer, not always detecting the monitor.

Anyone know whats the problem?

2. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Re: monitorproblems

If you have an Nvidia card installed then you can force the computer to use the monitor via the control panel. (The control panel is accessed by right clicking your desktop and selecting "NVIDIA Control Panel").

3. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

I had this problem, until i realized i had two VGA ports, so make sure you're putting the monitor in the right one :P

4. joerve

joerve Senior Member

yeah i checked this but it still doesnt work.

@legend

it goes in to sleepmode already at startup, not in windows.

5. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Check refresh rate D:

Alternatively,
    ask Stefeman.

6. joerve

joerve Senior Member

refreshrate, what do you mean?

7. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

Just thought, Could it be your graphics card malfunctioning?
    Got another to switch it over to to make sure it's not?

8. vinith

vinith Junior Member

Hold down the F8 key at the boot menu choose "Safe mode" once into windows go to Control Panel turn off all power management by setting them to never in "Power options" also turn off Hiberbate by unticking...if it still doesnt work then enter in safe mode and uninstall your graphics card driver and start normally.

9. joerve

joerve Senior Member

I cant because it goes in to sleepmode directly at startup. So i cant see anything. I do think its a videocardproblem.

10. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Resolution?

i had exactly same problem, when i used the monitor on my old computer.. the result was: when i transfered my monitor back to the new computer.. the monitor resolution was too big or too small for the new computer..

which causes instant sleep mode after u press power on, since either the computer has too big resolution for the screen, or too small.. or then the screen has too big for the computer, or too small.

11. Vulcan

Vulcan Game Server Moderator

Yes that happened to me, I had to plug my old cathode ray tube back in and lower the resolution then switch back to my regular monitor.

12. joerve

joerve Senior Member

If the resolution was the problem then the monitor would never work. But the problem is that it works after a restart or 2.

13. joerve

joerve Senior Member

I think I solved the problem. I was so annoyed that I opened up my pc and took a look at my videocard.

It wasnt pushed in its slot al the way. I think that was the problem.

now lets keep fingers crossed.

14. joerve

joerve Senior Member

lol im reviewing monitor power savings and came across this line lol

Get a smaller monitor
    We know, playing Crysis on your 30-inch Dell at a 2,560x1,600-pixel resolution is a reason to live, but it's also the reason the power company looks forward to your monthly energy readings.

lol

15. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

lmao.. just like me.. i run crysis/crysis warhead/crysis wars/ and soon crysis 2 with huge resolution.. no wonder the power company's employee comes always to us first.. :mrgreen: