1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Is this allowed? (shortcut in No Mercy)

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by Showoffmob, May 16, 2011.

1. Showoffmob

Showoffmob Junior Member

On the first map of No Mercy, I am aware of a MASSIVE shortcut that skips just about half the level, and will probably leave the way clear to the safehouse for whomever uses it. I was wondering if shortcuts like these (which aren't cheating, but also not the way the developers wanted the game to be played) legal? I figured it'd fit in together with the way to skip the hard rain elevator, but I wanted to make sure if it was allowed or not before I did it, since I have yet to see anyone else do it on the servers I've played on.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

2. littlebrother

littlebrother MG Donor

if your talking about the lift in hard rain, its definitely illegal to jump down, get incap and then revive, as the lift can't operate without the whole team

if your talking about jumping from the roof in no mercy chapter 1 to get down and run all the way to saferoom, im not sure, as the whole team can still play and get to saferoom, but it thought they fix that exploitation. just like they fix the hard rain lift exploitation.

but then again, i still see people doing the same stunt. so im not sure if it really fix or not. i never tried the hard rain part as i dont want to kill the whole team. i may try the no mercy and see if you can pull such stunt still.

thanks for the info man.

3. Showoffmob

Showoffmob Junior Member

Both of those still work, but the no mercy one is different because in falling in the manner that I would, you only lose 17 HP... (left me 83 HP in single-player) And if you know the trick behind it you can easily replicate it, meaning the entire team could be down in the alley the moment the game starts.

As for my two cents, I personally don't mind if a main rushes ahead, even if it dooms the rest. That, in my opinion, is pretty much what versus is with 10 people. You've got 4 people to protect all the way to the safe house, and then you've got 6 walking bait.

4. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

no.. it's not allowed.. it's map exploiting.. if you get caught, it's instant ban :p

5. Vulcan

Vulcan Game Server Moderator

It all boils down to if it benefits the whole team. If you are the suckass who rushes ahead and runs to the saferoom while everyone else dies because they couldnt work the elevator then you are a scumbag. However if you are a main and your only hope to score points for the team is to pull a Cleveland Steamer then so be it. But your fat ass better be sure it was a last resort.

6. Nova

Nova Senior Member

^ What he said.

Either way, knowing these stunts can come in handy in some situations. If the guy was the last one and was left behind, he could just ninja down. It all comes down to how the person shows his parkour skills and how good he does it, and mostly why. It's never nice when you have 1 or 2 people left behind, when the whole team is already in the safe room. The last time I saw this happen was on hard rain before the finale, I went back to help then defib the 2 newbies that died, and all 3 of us died right after, without anyone coming to help against the flock of SI and horde of zombies... so if people can pull tricks, it may come in handy, depending on the situation.

7. Showoffmob

Showoffmob Junior Member

But what in the case of No Mercy, then? Where you ARE leaving them to fend for themselves, so to speak, but it's not like you're actively blocking them from making it to the safe room on their own power.

8. Nova

Nova Senior Member

It's still rushing, leaving behind your team and map exploiting, which are all punishable "crimes".

I think stefe says it all :/

9. Showoffmob

Showoffmob Junior Member

Fair enough for me, glad I asked before even attempting it.

Actually, going back to hard rain now, what happens if you get charged down into the canefield? (did it to someone, to my surprise they were just incapped despite it being a karma charge) What's one to do in that situation? Let the charger murder them?

10. Nova

Nova Senior Member

Usually the person dies, that's all I've ever seen before.
    Either way, that survivor is pretty much doomed, and once incapped, the elevator can start.

There's nothing you can do about an unsuccessful karma charge, and I don't see the problem tbh. Anyone would do the same thing. The best thing to do in that situation is just to use the elevator once the charged survivor is crawling, and rush to help him. If he didn't die (which I still find weird), it's probably because he's high level, and had full hp, and had amazing luck, so he wouldn't just die crawling, and would have the time to survive waiting for his mates.

However if he uses a medkit while the team is still up well... it's not really his fault, but he can still get votekicked I suppose. I mean he IS getting his team killed.

11. Showoffmob

Showoffmob Junior Member

Yeah, that was the issue, he was incapped instantly, but then killed me by self-reviving seconds later (I didn't die either, so I began to pummel him, but obviously that didn't last long)

Been a few days since it happened, but as I recall he and someone else who was also charged into the canefield self-revived and made it into the saferoom, the rest died on the elevator, since it wouldn't start. Actually been wondering if it was a glitch since I got a "karma-charge" message with slow-motion and everything...

12. Nova

Nova Senior Member

If an admin were there, it would have just been a teleportation or a slay. Otherwise the players can just votekick, unless the person was a donor. I still think he's at fault somewhere, because knowing that it's going to block the team, he could have just gone !afk and have his bot teleport back to the others. All high levels know this trick, since it comes in handy during finales like the passing, or when someone gets stuck.

13. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

You want me to delete the vents that are the source of the exploits?
    Do you also want me to add fences to stop people getting Karma Charged?
    Answer pls. Either yes or no.

14. littlebrother

littlebrother MG Donor

i dont mind the fences, atleast it stops players from exploiting it.

and there are other ways of killing survivors like being smoker and pull them down the edge, surely someone will try to help them, and u can still do karma charge from there.

but this fences will only be there on one map right?

cause if theres a fence in the next map whereby survivors have to take the lift to go back and deliver the gas can, usually tank is spawn inside the building and they have to climb out of the building to get to the survivor and kill them, and this also happens to tank that are bought by players, the tank usually spawn inside the building.

so it would be great if the fence is applicable to just that map which cause players to exploit it.

15. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Yes.

16. Nova

Nova Senior Member

I wish there was a way to make it into an instant death, like when you fall off the mercy hospital rooftop.
    The fences seem so... out of place, I mean it's still a great place to kill survivors.

17. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Fences, as in half wooden ones, so a jockey can ride you off not these ones. Some parts will still allow karma charges.

18. Nova

Nova Senior Member

Or possibly fences that the survivors can't destroy, but will have to jump or climb over so they still get enough damage to die by falling ? And that chargers can charger through for great justice.

I like karma charges, and I support chargers and their miserable life. Donate now, adopt a charger today.

19. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

i'm against the fences.. they are not part of the map originally.

if we start warning/kicking/banning people for exploiting that tube, they will get the message..

if we add the fences, you can jump climb over them... or jump onto them..

besides, the fences blocks the karma charges, which is the best part of the map..

20. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

Dont really think fences are needed, would it not just be easier to have the area be an insta-kill zone
    when it is entered from a predetermined direction, for example the map1/NM -

Im not good with script but you get my meaning :)
    I think some thing like this would be better than fences and such because as stefeman says, they are
    not part of the original game and would probably look out of place as well as looking crap, but things
    like that also hinder the SI where they should not, so I tend to think the fewer of them the better.

Just my 2c