1. Click here to join our community discord server.

I wonder if anyone could help me.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Popshotz, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

Over the past two days, whenever I start l4d2 it'll load to the main screen and crash. No error messages, l4d2 just closes.
    If i try to join a server, via sourcebans, the server will load and i'll get maybe a minute game time, then L4D2 will crash in the same fashion.

I've tried all the usual fixes, validating steam files, complete reinstallation of L4D2 but the problem still persists.

Anyone?

2. Chocobo

Chocobo <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

Have you tried forcing the program to open in windowed mode? This happened to me once, and it turns out my computer didn't like the resolution I was using in the game (or something along those lines), and crashed the game every time I started it.

3. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

I tried "-w 1024 -h 768 -windowed -noborder" to see if it was the resolution crashing the game. However the problem still persists.

4. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

First, I'm not techy - not skilled in IT

But, if this happened recently and left 4 dead was working prior could there have been a change to your system? Try a system restore?

5. erik

erik MG Donor

Verify your settings on Options / Video.

Try resetting everything to Default & Recommended Settings. Re-install DirectX (corrupted or bad DirectX installation could cause a crash-to-desktop.) Verify C++ is installed properly.

After recent large Valve updates, I noticed my Video stuff was tinkered-with and had a hell of a time getting it going again (yet huge games like GTA worked flawlessly.)

Steam's (VERY) Generic "Fix Game Crashes" Checklist:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7169-TIAV-5361

Try mat_queue_mode 0 in console.

Look at this thread; your symptoms resemble something I experienced last year.

http://www.alteredgamer.com/left-4-dead-2/79543-l4d2-fixing-crash-to-desktop-problems/

Let us know,

6. HighVolt@ge

HighVolt@ge Senior Member

7. Angel

Angel MG Donor

Have you installed a new firewall or antivirus? I noticed that certain antivirus programs really didn't like some of my games..

I also noticed that Windows set Steam to run in compatibility mode just out of the blue one day, which caused a lot of trouble.

8. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

Aye i've got Avast. It's set so l4d2.exe doesn't get blocked.

I'll take a look to see about compatibility now.

EDIT: Setting a compatibility mode doesn't prevent crashing, thanks for the idea.

9. Angel

Angel MG Donor

Alright, I have several more suggestions.

1. Right click l4d2 > properties > disable steam community in-game. From this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/550/discussions/0/828933455514291142/?l=swedish

2. Post #9: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2759188 It may NOT apply to you because you don't have any error message, but might be worth a try.

3. Don't bother with any start options, or try -novid. Then try veryfying the cache again.

4. Make sure all l4d2 files and folders are actually gone when you do a re-install, delete any leftovers in the Steam directory.

5. Update your graphic drivers and/or do a rollback.

10. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

Thanks for your help Angel/Erik.
    I have discovered that it is multicore rendering gone wrong, however to input "mat_queue_mode 0" I need to start the game, open the console and then CTRL+V. The problem is - the game crashes before I can open the console.

11. Angel

Angel MG Donor

Look around in the game's cfg files, if you don't find the line that enables/disables multicore rendering, you'll have to create your own autoexec.cfg file and add the line.
    The file goes into your cfg folder and you may have to delete the other autoexec.cfg and config.cfg found in the same folder if it still doesn't work.

12. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

SOLVED.

Changing some values in nVidia control panel seemed to do the trick. Worked perfectly over the last hour.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

CLOSED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.