1. Click here to join our community discord server.

[HELP]Left 4 Dead 2 Crashing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Penguin, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Penguin

Penguin Guest

since i formatted and re installed my games left 4 dead 2 seems to have a habit of crashing on versus server randomly. i am yet to have it happen on coop and anything so i am baffled to what this could be.

What happens is the screen will go black and all sounds will disappear then i will have to get task manager up to close the none responding game.

This happened to anyone else before or does anyone have any advice on what i could do to resolve it? its kind of annoying...

2. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Do you Alt + Tab out or use CTRL + ESC when this happens?

Try one of these.

- Reverting back to several months older video card drivers. (at most 1-3% performance loss)
    - Disable all addons
    - add "-steam" to the end of your L4D2 launch options to force optimal settings.
    - Set video settings back to default and keep them so. (only change resolution if needed).
    - Do not use VLC media player or MPC-HC when HL2.exe is open. (Known issues with some Nvidia cards/drivers)
    - Get rid of Iobit Advanced System Care. (This software is full of issues when it comes to steam and source games).

3. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

You can also try to disable multicore rendering in the L4D2 settings.

4. One of my friends had this happened but he had a lot of mods on. I told him to try turning off the mods, he did and he hasn't had it happened since. He said that he didn't turn all of them off though, just most of them.

5. Penguin

Penguin Guest

Alt + tab does nothing, i usually have to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and close L4d2 from on there.
    Ill try some of these a bit later when i get round to going on again.

I will also try this, i think i have everything turned on so ill tweak the settings a little.

ill turn off some of the mods that i feel i dont really need and see if this helps in that case
    ----
    Thanks for the advice all of you

6. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

I know a couple of addons are incompatible with each other and others just crash the game outright. I removed the blood decals and the custom sky mods and my game stopped crashing. Check if you have either of those. If you don't, you'd just have to enable/disable 1 mod at a time until you find one that crashes the game cos I'm certain it won't be all of them.

7. Penguin

Penguin Guest

Last night when I was playing I disabled multicore rendering and the vertical sync. I also disabled half my addons and it seemed to run okay after that, so far i have no crashes I'll repost if I get anymore

Thanks for the help everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk