1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Food for thought

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rubber Chicken, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Let me first start off with an apology.

I am really sorry, nose. You were right, I should have voiced out for you at that time. By being silent, it actually goes against my convictions against witch startles. And you all know how I feel about that. I blamed my silence on an overdose of coffee and as well as still being awake at 3am in the morning and killing zombies. I guess my brain is slow at processing facts at that time.

That being done, let me move on to the next point.

YOU were not wrong in saying that. There is no stated rule in MG saying that one is not allowed to startle witches. You mentioned that as long as you had a defib at hand, you will go startle all the witches you see fit. And that you would not startle them if you don’t have a defib. So off you go, startling the witches, and cause you were not the main, that crazy witch would go after the main who has a similar character as you instead. And your actions ensued a lot of unhappiness, particularly to those who got mauled to death.

You see, being an administrator is not just about enforcing rules, handling out bans. They carry significant responsibilities as well. It is more so about helping the community, the players. Esp the new players, they looked up to the admins, and senior players for guidance and advice. Your words, actions do have implications on other players, esp so, when you are an admin. New players would only take in the fact that you said its ok to startle the witches, and disregard the defib part (they can’t afford defibs btw). And they will go off startling all the witches they find and killing everyone.

Please don’t get me wrong, the intention of this post is not to instruct you on what to do. I am in no position nor authority to do such a thing. I am just bringing forth some points for you, as well as to all the regulars and the high level players, to consider and ponder upon. I didn’t write this post to persecute anyone, just some thoughts I want to bring out for all to consider. Whether we liked it or not, new players to the servers will see us as their guides and will follow our actions, regardless of our actions being right or wrong.

Likewise, even though I agree that bans and votekicks are necessary in some situations, I still hoped that some level of leniency could be shown to players who have committed minor offences. Esp to new players, who are not familiar with the rules and committed the offences out of sheer ignorance. I believed a warning depicted in a cordial manner would suffice in some cases.

Lastly, to end this on a positive note. Really appreciate the assistance and the advice that some regulars are rendering to the new players, teaching them the rules, what buffs to get, skills to upgrade etc. Hoped to see more of these players in game. :dance:

2. LordCoder

LordCoder Game Server Moderator

Exactly my words, and as mentioned, as long as it's not against the rules to do that, anyone can choose to startle/fight the withes or not, and any approach would be valid (of course, not for the sake of trolling but to fight them as part of the game).

There will be some players prefering one option or another, as long as it's legal it's fine.

It's not just that I check if I have a defib, I check if there are enough strong players to kill a running witch, etc. etc. And I don't care if I'm a main or not, I died several times while being a main, and I don't complain.

What you can't pretend, as that player did, it's to tell me that I must stop doing that (because she didn't like it) when that's something totally open to the free will of the players. And furthermore when I explained the reasons why I wasn't gonna do it, then she started personal attacks (how was my day, poor MG, etc. etc.), gladly that she stopped when instructed to, otherwise the situation would have been different.

If you don't like some things in game, which are NOT against the rules, then ask nicely if you expect cooperation, you may get it or not, not everyone has to share the same point of view on every situation, and as long it's permitted, deal with it like a grown-up.

Regards,

3. SweetNose

SweetNose Junior Member

But this wasnt about me "bitching" about stop startling witches, as i said multiple time, u startled witches and did not kill them! And i tried to get some sense in you by saying that im a poor witch killer, i am not as good as example mao is. Is this the diktatorship mg wants? Even if there are no rules against it, most of us know that there are guide lines to follow. And yes i wont sit here and be quiet and say nothing, and it wasnt personal attacks by simply saying to another gamer/ admin, if you are having a bad day today, dont take it out on us.

4. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

When the Rules were written by Marvel and amended by my self and then later other Admin we did not think it
    was required to put in them that Admin should not troll, it was expected that all Admin would behave this way
    with out being asked. The act of startling witchies is much the same as throwing molo's at where other players
    are standing/fighting or for that matter any other act that results in harm or death to others.

5. LordCoder

I beg to differ, witches are part of the game, and startle them in order to fight them is allowed as any other element of the game.

If the rules have to be changed that's fine, but that's not what they say now. And assimilating that situation with trolling it's a very particular interpretation to say the least...

6. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

Well ok if you dont like the Trolling one, here it is by the way and I do agree the Trolling Rule is lacking, im sure it
    was better written in the past :/

• Trolling.

Trolling on MG/MGftw Servers is not allowed, the act of Disruption or Spoiling the Game for other people by the use of minor (in them selfs!) Inflamatory Comments or the Baiting of Admin may result in a Short Ban.
    The Ban may be Increased if there are multiply cases

How about Team Killing as that is the end result of your action, but before i go on i do need to say that
    the act of attacking and killing the witch is fine for the sake of quests (if that quest is still with us) or if
    she is blocking the path to the safe room but running up to most or all of them and setting them off is a
    different matter. Im sure players have been banned for this in the past.

but anyway, the Team Killing Rule looks like this, Im sure you do not need me to show them to you, so
    I put this here for others to see what im getting at :)

• Team Killing.

Excessive, on purpose damaging other players on your team (including yourself) will result in a kick and temporary ban without warning.
    This Includes both as Servs. and SI. So pushing another SI of the building is also considered as TK as it often results in that players SI being killed.

7. LordCoder

As I said, you are confusing trolling/team killing with fighting the witches.

There is even a new buff (as of the latest PR release) to streghten the players fighting witches. So in no way you can argue that fighting witches is trolling/team killing, otherwise we are crating buffs to promote that :P

So as long as a player fights the witches (and then again, as already explained it's not indiscriminated but other circumstances are taken into account such us having a defib, the levels of the players, etc.), it shouldn't be a problem to kill a witch.

8. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

What you say could be true if you was killing them and not just startling them and running off!
    Anyway im not going to continue to argue/debate this as it serve no porpoise other than to say TK is the end result
    of your play style and that TK by an admin is Trolling and is one of the major things that drives players to other servers.

9. MetallicA

MetallicA <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

To prevent something nasty, I'm going to respectfully close this thread. You can argue in PM if you want, just please don't make it public :)

Thank you !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.