1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Custom campaign server?

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by BadLuckBrian, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BadLuckBrian

BadLuckBrian Guest

I knew that a custom campaign PR server existed last year but was removed however. It there any chance for this server to be reintroduced? No offence but I am getting bored with the official ones. and PR is the only thing getting me interested in this game after almsot 200 hours played

2. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

as far as I know custom campaigns were removed due to crashes caused by conflicts in the way they're made, and the way the sourcemod/metamod plugins work for MG.

Custom campaigns can often have a lot of custom panic events/triggers/things which can play havoc on a heavily modified server such as the PR MG servers.

That and they were never really anywhere near as active as the regular PR-Coop servers.

I'd like them back as well, but perhaps an admin can clarify?

3. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Pretty much what you said, custom campaigns require a lot, and I mean A LOT of testing to see if they work with our mods. A lot of them don't and cause crashes.

The other part is the downloading, steam workshop sucks so that's no option. Mirroring vpk's here requires a lot of effort/maintenance.

In other words, it's not worth it, it requires a lot of effort and on-going maintenance while only a few people are playing.

4. BadLuckBrian

BadLuckBrian Guest

well , i guess coming from Admin who is doing the work,its understandable. Thanks for replying!

5. Penguin

Penguin Guest

On the subject if this... Out if curiosity if something did happen where you was able to easily maintain the server and put less time into it would it be something that would be considered to return?

I say IF this where to happen of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Adward

It's one hell of a big "if", on account of it being made of lots of not-so little "if"s that add together to not make it worth it.

If downloading maps was easier, if they didn't conflict with MG mods, if the userbase for the servers was higher (linked to the downloading maps point, but I digress).

pretty big ifs going on. love custom maps, but they were far more unstable then the regular coop maps.

7. Penguin

Penguin Guest

Whilst they where around i will say that they where a lot of fun, would be interesting to see a versus custom campaign server though ;D

just got to see if we can solve all the
    IF's in the problem

8. ughgh

ughgh Junior Member

I thought the custom maps CrazyRabbit made were really good - maybe we could even get them to run on versus?

9. Adward

Hell, I remember seeing a thread about versus survival on Helm's Deep. Now that would be crazy, or just versus survival in general.

10. Penguin

Penguin Guest

This would be insanely fun without a doubt lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

Even without rewards, this would be popular :P

12. erik

erik MG Donor

The problem with this is that it's only one map... we pathed HD out once and goofed around in a PR-VS game mode. Everyone got bored within 60 minutes.