1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Anti-rush plugin for our pr and VI server.

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by [S?o?i???WEED] Wanted, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Yesterday i played in a server which had antirush plugin which just teleport all rushers to last survivor who's left behind after some distance between them and it doesn't tele players for a bot.This plugin most definitely gonna solve problem of rushing in coop.Not sure it gonna work in pr vs as it need some modification according to our pr vs server but it may work on vi vs server as that server is much like vi server.This would help in saving low lvl players/new players and more teamwork.

2. erik

erik MG Donor

I like the idea because right now, we have a problem with people purposely working FROM the back in COOP, not "keeping up the back."

These are 2 different things and it can really hold up a COOP game. HOWEVER, if the team moves as a team, they don't get fragmented. I'm confident the issue is people bursting out the second they're able.

There is some protection built-in with the reputation system; I don't know the specifics, but your reputation can be affected, and you won't be able to buy stuff or pick up items if you rush in PR-COOP. That may not mean, though, that the maps are completed in a timely way or the right way; those that I said "WORK FROM the back" can easily be transposed with people in the back overwhelmed due to no support.

PR-VS... yeah, that's iffy, but I think it would work in COOP.

VI is a very specific game mode; I think it would work there too. (Seeing "WTF!!!!11111"s from the rushers would be hilarious, btw.)

3. Seeker Sheol

Seeker Sheol Senior Member

worst idea for vi ever, really? so instead of the team moving and letting the slow ones die, we all have to sit at 25% and die over and over, yeah no thanks, fire it on PR am sure they will love it more.

4. erik

erik MG Donor

Despite the why's, you're right... I should ask VI what they/you think.

Either way it was just an initial reaction.

Sorry for being so heavy-handed.

5. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

I don't think, that the VI players would want this :P

Sure i could be wrong.. but usually they don't want any other updates than hotfixes.

Surely the charger steer was awesome update and almost everyone liked it, but in VI, i believe that the rushing is more under control there than it's in PR servers.

6. erik

erik MG Donor

You're 100% right, my error. Thanks,

7. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Just my personal thought and nothing more :o

8. Play in 10 vs 10 revolution then you will know how this anti rush system encourage teamwork,there players hardly left 1 player left behind to die.I also played in VI server and what i saw was 4-3 mains rushing ahead and other 6-7 fighting all SI.That server is also full most of the time not like VI maybe just because of awesome teamwork.

9. Nebula

Nebula Junior Member

not a good idea at all to have it in vi, we're under more or less control with the rushers there, we usually tell them to come back or get kicked, and it works most of the time, and ofc there's the situation when some players at back are in so much trouble its good that the mains rush for a few points in. having an anti rush plugin for vi is completely out of the question

10. erik

erik MG Donor

zomg

11. HighVolt@ge

HighVolt@ge Senior Member

Perhaps, but I could think of a few issues, like the way certain regs/others handle things like balance that might have much more of an impact in that...

12. Zsoka

Zsoka Senior Member

Yeah regulars are mean, huh gforce?
    I don't think VI needs this; every time I'm in there they handle it just fine, sometimes too harsh though and as far as I've seen VI is mostly full except late at night. It was Chicago that had all the dumb problems.

13. If this system helps in getting more players and server full of players than i don't get what the problem in that if you are such a team player.If that server much like VI is full most of the time because of this system then why not our VI or PR as this is good for mg and Vi players.Do you like to play with bots? lol

14. JavCube

JavCube MG Donor

I like the Smoking's idea. I should suggest that we should make a mod (for PR) that makes them lose HP a certain amount (determined by the distance from them to the last survivor alive) multiplied by the number of players that are behind them, plus making their visibility darker... Call it hypothermia or something like that.

Or just make them catch a parasite that makes something like mutation (but with less intensity).

I think taking contant damage is better than teleporting them back and give them a chance to farm :P

15. erik

erik MG Donor

It's not unrealistic, it could be coded/programmed based on a completion score amount or something

16. Kakarot

Kakarot Senior Member

That anti-rush system teleports the whole team back if 2 or more people are behind. That means you will be teleported back everytime some infected even gets the bots

17. Insomniac

Insomniac Junior Member

I can think of many reasons not to implement any of the above penalties for rushing:

1] Delayers
    a) If someone is idling at the back, or in the SR, getting caught up by SI because he's idle, the whole team suffers. In this case it's ultimately better to let him die for making the rest of the team wait.
    b) If someone is farming at the back, forcing everyone to go back to the farmer will just be encouraging people to farm with him.

In the above 2 cases, would it be better to keep the team together or let the people who deserve to be left for dead be left to die?
    Pretty clear answer, for all those with no guilty conscience about farming.

2] Versus complications
    a) While there are occasions where moving back to help stragglers may benefit, there are as many occasions where having the rest of the team move forward while others "bait" the SI are even more beneficial to the team score.
    b) Survivors caught in choke points (e.g.: Crossing of log in Cold Stream 1, Running over roofs in Dark Carnival 4) will usually be stuck there for a duration, due to the nature of the map and the inherent advantage given to SI: forcing players to port back to save fallen survivors would amplify the existing impediments to survivor progress.
    c) Points of No Return - a survivor who is downed when the rest of the team has moved on past the point of no return is effectively dead [with the exception of incapacitated survivors capable of crawling]. He is, by original intention of the game developers, meant to be dead. Forcing survivors to return to that location would be a contrived way of giving them a second chance they should not have. This particular segment { c) } is largely my opinion, it does not have much practicality grounded behind it.

I would recommend alternative measures, of which one happens to be already established. The existing reputation system in place on EU and US PR Coop servers is a wonderful way of making people WANT to work together as a team. Penalties imposed on people who play selfishly; benefits given to people who play altruistically. This karma system really does reinforce the meaning of teamwork.

Perhaps the results of the above have not manifested themselves significantly; I would believe this to be due to the ease in obtaining an Excellent or Team Pillar status [When the system first came out, I went from Average to Team Pillar in no more than 8 hours, paying attention to my friendly fire.] To better reap the rewards of the system, I propose amplifying the impact on reputation from selfish playing styles as well as increasing the scope and impact of penalties on selfish players. This will STRONGLY discourage people from being individualistic.

My definition of selfish playing styles:
    1) Team Killing
    2) Rushing, relative to the rest of the team
    3) Farming, relative to the rest of the team
    To explain points 2) and 3), see below.

There is a fine line when distinguishing between players who are rushing and players who are holding up the game. Different people have different patience levels and different playing styles. Hence, players should analyze the situation they are in when playing with a particular group of people and react accordingly; they should conform to the situation.

I have seen groups of 16 players on Asia PR Coop move quickly TOGETHER through a map [i.e.: Dead Center complete in 17 minutes] despite having players of varying levels [from 10 to 200].

I have seen groups of 5-6 players idle in the same spot for 5 minutes, farming together, on the other Coop servers. (Got a demo recorded as proof, too.)

In either case, would you say that any of the players are causing harm to each other? Would you say that their playing style is selfish, seeing that they are merely following what each of them does? Could you even accuse them of rushing/farming? Grey areas abound.

I have brought up many points for discussion. Ultimately, the ability to change the way players play is determined by how the system is designed: there will be pros, there will be cons, and there will be limitations that come with the default coding of the game.

While I do sincerely appreciate the work that has been put into the community by the respective stakeholders, as well as not being exposed to the workings behind the scene, I do feel that the administrators of the server should come together and decide on a stand AS ONE regarding how much "rushing" or how much "farming" should be acceptable (or should be tolerated) and henceforth make clear and publicize this views to the community at large.

P.S.: The last paragraph is not to say that the administrators have not been doing anything of the sort; I do apologize if it does sound accusatory.

18. erik

erik MG Donor

yeah, farmers are the lowest form of life in the pr world

19. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

We used to have an anti-rush plugin in the past on our server, it wasn't a huge success. Plugins like that are very complicated and do a lot of calculations which means more CPU usage == more lag while playing. That's besides the various types of bugs players encouter when it activates. A lot of false positives and such.

It also removes the player's freedom in-game a lot and makes the server less popular.

So all in all, everything that has something to do with anti-rush, with the exception of a real-life admin playing on the server sounds like bad news to me.

20. littlebrother

littlebrother MG Donor

This post so reminds me of my first time posting in MG forum.. so nostalgic.. lol

Well written indeed.