1. Click here to join our community discord server.

W7 vs W2008 R2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JavCube, Jun 4, 2013.

1. JavCube

JavCube MG Donor

Hello there,

I'm planning to change the OS of my work laptop from W7 Enterprise to W2008 R2. (both licences are legit)

On W7 I've been working like 2 years with IIS, ASP.net, .NET, etc.

And also play games when I'm travelling outside the city.

Any thoughts and advices?

-Jav

2. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

Watch out for driver support/programs that check OS. From my own (limited) experience with it, you may need to find more workarounds, though most Win7 drivers should work on W2008R2.

As for gaming, most games work with it, though you'll have to look them up yourself for particular titles.

I'd suggest not switching unless you have a particular need that Win7 doesn't cover. While it has some pluses (lower memory footprint at startup for one) it does get mixed reactions as a desktop OS.

3. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Well, some free programs may detect your OS as windows server 2008 r2 and stop working because they think, you are using them in business for free.

Teamviewer for example.

4. erik

erik MG Donor

2008 R2 has a whole gaggle of known compatibility issues. Read-up on those.

5. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

There's no reason at all to use 2008 R2 on a laptop instead of Windows 7 x64. Both are exactly the same only 2008 R2 can be installed as a terminal server or domain controller which you would never do with a laptop anyway.

I would stick to W7.

6. JavCube

JavCube MG Donor

Thanks!! I had for sure that W7 isbest on a laptop than W2008R2. I've even tweaked W7 a little to use Remote Desktop without logging off the other user...

Thanks for helping to clear it out...

Sticking to W7 for laptop :D