1. Click here to join our community discord server.

vBulletin vs Invision Power :)?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RedWorker, Apr 17, 2011.

1. RedWorker

RedWorker Junior Member

I am planning on creating a forum website. I've tried phpBB (free, open source) but I need a lil more options. I know MG uses vBulletin and there site looks great, but I just want to ask them and other members that which one is better. I know there are so many discussions on this topic but here we go again :). Also is it just a forum software or you can do more with it too.
    Actually, I heard that vB is going down (not fast in innovation and bad customer support) and on the other hand IP is progressing rapidly.
    Please let me know which one should I go for

Thanks

2. Nova

Nova Senior Member

I say, code your own forum D:
    You do it in the language you want, give it the features you want, and you get the satisfaction of making your very own.

full of win! :lock1:

3. joerve

joerve Senior Member

Well if you like to spend long hours behind your PC I suggest you go for vbullitin, because every tiny option takes 6 hours of work :)

4. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

If ur a vb noob like you, yes ;)

Keep in mind that you need to pay for VB and IPB. PhpBB is limited but free.

5. joerve

joerve Senior Member

well, anyone who hasn't used it yet is a noob :p

6. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

It really goes based on preference. Both of them have slightly different features and their own pros and cons. vBSEOs are somewhat better when compared to IPB's fURLs; vB's modding community is larger.

IPB has some really nice admin panel features like instant search. vB has headed off in some direction and no one there listens to the customers anymore. Some feature requests have been up for at least 3 years. IPB on the other hand has a friendlier community and they work toward including customer feature requests and mods.

vB is used more often in the professional spectrum. IPB in my experienced opinion is just as good. The price for vB is $285 whereas IPB costs $149. IPB has some awesome features vB is lacking and visa versa.

In the end, if I were given a choice, I would go with IPB for ease of usability, maintainability, and positive trend.