1. Click here to join our community discord server.

USA server down for maintenance (Updated)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by marvel, Jan 5, 2011.

1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunatly, the USA server crashed again last night. I checked the console and it was stuck at some kind of kernel trap, so all I could do was hard reboot it like usual. Next, I updated the kernel to the latest version to make sure there is no bug in the current one that causes this.

Then I wanted to update the distro with the latest packages, but during the process the system froze and all I could do was hard reboot again.

Anyway it doesn't look good. It seriously looks like a hardware issue. I'm running diagnostics now trying to pin down the cause and ask the hostprovider to solve the problem but this can take a while so until then the server will be down. It's not very usefull to bring it up now and let it crash all day long anyway.

I'll keep u updated.

Update:

Well it rebooted on its own now, so either it resets for no good reason, it freezes on the console or it gives a kernel error and hangs. Anyway a ticket with the hostprovider has been created. They're gonna look at it and hopefully solve it. Until then the server will be down.

Update 2:

Seems like the hdd is failing. The host is replacing it. This will take some time. After replacement I have to reinstall the OS and copy over the old data so expect some more downtime.

2. Vulcan

Vulcan Game Server Moderator

Re: USA server down for maintenance

Ya, the cotton pickin' thing crashed right as we were about to win. :-(

3. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

Re: USA server down for maintenance

Alright, hope the problem gets solved >.<

4. marvel

Re: USA server down for maintenance (Updated)

See updated post

5. jeferson1979

jeferson1979 Game Server Moderator

its ok
    :|

6. #_9

#_9 <span style="color:#66CD00">Game Server Moderator<

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now what server will I go to?? Not the Euro ones my Ping is garbage :(
    guess they will have to do for now..

7. marvel

Well, more bad news. When I first reported the incident they responded within 5 minutes.

Taking their advice I ran several harddrive tests myself and they all turned out good. Smart wasn't reporting errors and fsck didn't as well. I told this to support and they're now telling me it could be anything at this point, from ram to cpu to sata and so on.

I told them to test anything they want to and that I don't care about any data loss since I have backups anyway as long as they fix it asap.

Well, guess what. I got an e-mail 10 hours later saying 'Thanks, we will let you know if we find anything.' :(

This sucks.

8. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

wow not good :(