1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Trouble connecting to servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Striker, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Striker

Striker MG Donor

I've been having some trouble connecting to MG servers... It seems whenever my router is connected the game gets stuck loading the level at this point:

View attachment 676

Now since this only seems to happen on MG servers and only when my router is connected (meaning if I connect my PC directly to my cable modem it works) I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on the matter...

My router is a TP-Link TL-WR841ND
    Running Win 7 64Bit
    Core2Quad 9550
    4GB OCZ Platinum 1066Mhz
    Radeon 4890 Vapor-X
    mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Any ideas?

BTW Sorry if this is the wrong place, I couldn't find a better one as this concerns all MG servers.

2. HighVolt@ge

HighVolt@ge Senior Member

odd. Possibly a firewall issue or try power-cycling that router (unplug powercord for 1 minute and plug it back in, restart your pc too).

3. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Hm, what server exactly? You know we have a 1GB/s connection maybe the wireless modem cannot transmit that fast so it just gets stuck on loading. I would boost the signal by moving it closer to the PC; I would also move the antennae down (credits to chris for informing me on that one); also try setting the modem to a lower speed then gradually move it higher.

It could also be that your gamefiles are not verified, this means that sometimes the game hangs and tries to cache something that doesn't exist. Try verifying integrity of L4D2 files.

Similarly, if this happens again try opening the dev console, it will most definitely show where it's having problems.

4. vishus puss

vishus puss MG Donor

I'd say it is your router config? I mean if you remove it from the line it works, right?

Networking is a whole 'nother world dude. Try removing QoS? Just a guess, it might be constricting bandwidth limits.

5. Striker

Striker MG Donor

It's definitely something with the router configuration as like I said, it works if the router is disconnected (my gaming rig is conncted with a cable, I need the router for my iPhone/PS3/Laptop and so on). I was hoping someone here could tell me why this is happening with MG servers...

I'll check if QoS is enabled though I doubt I'd turn it on, anyone have any more ideas for setting the router may have that'll affect this?