1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Player Of The Week

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LEGEND, Nov 21, 2010.

1. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

I noticed that you can select a "Player of the Week" in the Marvelous Gaming Steam Group profile.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to award the "Player of the Week" donator privileges for a day? Would be awesome to keep players playing on the servers this way.

Note: The player of the week is decided by the longest playtime/kills/points etc. who plays on MG, excluding admins. Maybe we can set up a something that lists the people from highest to lowest play time in a week.
    Edit: we can already do this but it lists the players for the week previous. For example; the longest time a person played for was 1d 08:09:25h and that was from a guy called ImBiss Br0nk0 on L4D1. The most points a person got in L4D2 was from a guy called *MoF* Shepherd aka fReeRide he scored 49,217 Points. Maybe we can give these guys a sort of treat for a day for playing on MG? We can store the names/Steam ID's so that we don't have repeats.

2. Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell Senior Member

Re: Player Of The Week

sounds like a phat idea to me

3. PepsiDay

PepsiDay Guest

Player of the weak which play longest should be called Maniac of the week, i know ImBiss and he's not good.

Think kills/hour will be good (killed specials / 1 hour) but that's not ".. of the week"

4. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

You want us to award "Player of the Week" per hour?
    "Player of the Hour - Every Hour on MG" xD.

5. PepsiDay

PepsiDay Guest

I mean, After 24h, in hour zero, will be updated info about player, which did best Kills of specials/Hour ;)

Player1 - play 2h 59min, best K_Spec/H = 0.78
    2 - play 58min, best K_Spec/H = Unavaible
    l0ol3 - play 1h 10min, best K_Spec/H = 1.02/hour
    K_Spec/H ----> Kills of specials per 1 hour

Best score of 23-11-10 = l0ol3 - 1.02

-Every player can see his best score of day in hlxstats
    -Award for best K_Spec/H (Global for Biggest Score ever :))

I don't think "player of the week" is good idea, coz ppl will play +10h each day just to get "award" - we don't wanna do L4D-Maniacs :lol:

6. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Maybe we do want people to play for a long time.
    http://www.marvelous-gaming.com/stats/h ... nk_type=-1
    That link is to whom the Player Of The Week is awarded to. We decide whether L4D1 or L4D2 will be assessed for the Player of the Week.
    With L4D1 dwindling, I fear that the majority of the Players of The Week will be from L4D2. We can also decide on whether we will assess the players for Points/Kills.

*MoF* Shepherd is Number 1. We add him to a spreadsheet which makes sure that he can't get the Player of the Week award again.
    After, say, 6 months, we delete the spreadsheet and start the whole thing again - meaning that people can get donor options again for a day - this keeps players, makes them enjoy the servers and overall gives us respect.

Meanwhile, Shepherd enjoys the BENEFITS of being a donor for a day and MORE players will want to be Player of the Week which means that MORE players will keep playing on our SERVERS! :roll:

Using Player of the Week, we will gain hell of a lot of recognition. You agree now?

7. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

The Player of the Week idea sounds like a cool thing to have and as said above
    it should be the best player from L4D 1 & 2, even if they mostly end up being from L4D2.

To my mind the Player of The Week should be based on Kills + 'Special Kills & Maps Survived'
    not on play time, as some people just dont have the option to play that long and so just wont try
    to achieve the position, but a minimum number of hours should be required, ie 2 or something.

As for the BENEFITS of being the player of the Week, I think the PotW should have the Benefits
    untill a new player is chosen, I mean what if the player does not know he won and does not come
    on that day and any way its more of a reward if he can have the Benefits for a week, a day just
    seems like a very small time.
    If it does end up being just a day, could it be worked so that his/her benefits activate when he
    next logs on to steam along with an Announcement from MG to let them know.

Maybe the the Status of VIP could be create to make the distinction between a Donor and a PotW
    after all True Donors are Special and should have there own title.

Just my 2c

8. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Player of the week is cool but you should exclude admins. I can see Wolf is now player of the week lol.

9. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

I didn't add him. You know that Wolf does have admin on the Steam Group Profile? Maybe he made himself PoTW :?
    Player of the Week isn't intended for admins nor should it ever be for admins.
    So is this plan going ahead or not? I'll be up for managing/adding/talking to PoTW's but I'll have to be in close contact with people who run the donator options...