1. Click here to join our community discord server.

New Left 4 Dead 2 Beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Penguin, May 4, 2013.

1. Penguin

Penguin Guest

http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=10534

looking at this i think there is a new map coming out for L4D2 to celebrate a linux beta launch...apparently there is a beta you can download on steam and it should appear in your library now

even though its linux apparently there are updates for windows and mac in this beta update

EDIT:
    Current changes in this build include:
    - Server operators can now specify whether or not custom content is allowed when playing on their servers. This can be set on a per game mode basis - see cfg/addonconfig.cfg for details.

- Fixed main menu not refreshing after workshop add-ons have been loaded. Custom UI skins should display correctly now.

- Reworked add-on management to improve stability and properly support custom mutations

- Prevent an intermittant crash when browsing the add-ons screen

2. Bananasaur

Bananasaur Guest

I would try it out but.. http://puu.sh/2NgOU.png
    ..Wait why is the beta so large? Its like 7.4GB for the normal one.

3. Penguin

Penguin Guest

honestly i didn't see a difference when i went on it and tried it.

i would love to hear if anyone else has downloaded it and found and changes?

4. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Epic filesize..

5. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

The BETA is just the full version of the game, with unreleased changes they are still testing.

What you get is the Back To School campaign (already available separately on the Workshop) and the chance to try the Enhanced Mutation System (mainly for modders/mappers to use). You guys have basically downloaded the full game + a campaign that Valve wants to you to have with a few small extras that aren't even noticeable.

You can't join servers while running the beta unless the server is running the beta dedicated server.

6. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

There are new client side dev maps though.. (for all users).

While the current L4D2 has only 2 maps (tutorial_standards, tutorial_standards_vs).

The new beta build includes several new ones such as a new arena-like map which could be epic for some events, and "urban city" survival map.. These maps are "hidden" and are not in normal rotation..

7. CrazyRabbit

We have that already, but noone around here likes doing events on a new map... even if it's custom made, just for this community. :P

I think these maps you're talking about will be to do with the EMS (Enhanced Mutation System, mutation mode on steroids). They will run best using whatever Mutation they were created for, although they can probably be tweaked for our own use. I'll still wait for the beta to be applied to the game because like Bananasaurus, I have limited space and no bandwidth for that size download.

8. erik

erik MG Donor

This isn't true... there are admin issues (that we've discussed in the admin forums, and I've messaged you about,) which keep us from entertaining the things you're talking about.

9. CrazyRabbit

Yeah I get it... but this isn't about events it's about the beta.