1. Click here to join our community discord server.

My New Old Laptop

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chocobo, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Chocobo

Chocobo <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

Well, for anyone who actually cares about this, I have recently inherited a new laptop that is old, but new for me. It is an Inspiron 1100. If any of you know, it is a really old and shitty model.

When I first turned it on, it took about 30 minutes to start, and is incredibly slow and annoying. I changed all the user names and everything in the time I had in the past few days. It surfs the internet, but slowly, like I could go get some water and come back before the next page is loaded.

So I am asking all YOU, yes YOU, to help me find ways to make it faster and suck less. I have no money to spend on it, and I already tried installing a simpler OS on it, but it didn't have enough RAM to do it. Which means I am stuck with Windows XP on it. I decided to post here before downloading random shit from Google.

Any ways would be helpful :)

Thanks,
    Chocobo

2. Nova

Nova Senior Member

Depends on your processor really.

Windows XP is a good OS already.
    Just defrag C:\ and clean the registry... but I doubt it'll help much if at all lol

3. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Install linux on it with a lightweight window manager like xbuntu. Should be sufficient to surf the web.

4. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

i doubt even notepad.exe will work on that machine...

5. vishus puss

vishus puss MG Donor

Here's what I did with a POS Compaq Armada M700 :::

http://www.avbrand.com/projects/digitalframe/

I put mine in a shadow box though with no keyboard! Mine has an old RCA video out so I got ahold of a Harmony Remote and hooked this one up to the TV and it is now a movie player for my TV that plays any movie off the network with GeexBox instead of XP.

Anyway yeah, look around for ideas you don't have to use it like a laptop ya know. :D

6. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

you could always tune up the PC with all sort of programs, but the hardware is your problem..

you could possibly speed it up 5-20% with good setup of programs, but i really would install xbuntu on it..

7. vishus puss

vishus puss MG Donor

If you want XP look around for something called MicroXP... That might work pretty swell on it.