1. Click here to join our community discord server.

I thought the problem was solved!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erik, May 15, 2013.

1. erik

erik MG Donor

Hi, guys, I wanted to ask for some help w/ my L4D2 Video Options.

To recap the initial issue,
    - I could not play L4D2 on my PC. I could run large games like GTA-IV. Made no sense.
    - It turned out my NVIDIA graphics card has software that insists on overriding L4D2 Video Options.
    - I disabled vertical SYNC and changed other values; Paged Pool Memory; Medium/Low, Shading Detail/Quality; Low, and Multicore Rendering: ENABLE.

It fixed the problem!

However, I noticed the performance issues came back on & off. I would get great FPS.

Here is the problem: Every time I launch L4D2, I check my Options / Video / Advanced.

It keeps DISABLING multicore rendering. Is there some way to fix that or make it "stick" as ENABLED so I don't have to do this every time I start the game?

(PS I have seen a LOT of gamers with NVIDIA graphics having this issue!)

Thank you,

[​IMG]

2. Hey Koolaid

Hey Koolaid Head Administrator

Same stinking issue.

3. Angel

Angel MG Donor

4. tank

tank MG Donor

[​IMG]

i run old x2 AMD athlon 64 processor 6000+, 8GB Ram, evga gtx260 video card, stand between 40-50 FPS if server not lag
    You got some software with your video card?
    [​IMG]

5. erik

erik MG Donor

Yes, standard NVIDIA stuff that comes w/ the NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT. I know it's antiquated.

No matter what I change settings to, it changes "multicore rendering" to disabled. The rest stays/sticks.

Just curious... since I do NOT know what vertical SYNC means... (only that DISABLED HELPS PERFORMANCE...) why do you have it set at the setting you chose??

I thought of an option to commit my changes so NVIDIA can't change them!

I searched Steam for L4D@ Launch Options.

I found a FULL LIST, but unfortunately none include multicore rendering/enabled.

For those who don't know, go to Steam, Library, RIGHT CLICK L4D2, choose "Properties," then "SET LAUCH OPTIONS."

A good example is the launch option -novid. This skips the opening video sequence and launches you right into the main menu. I also use -condebug so, for example, a server crashes, I don't have to RUSH to the console to copy the errors. It automatically commits them to a log.

6. erik

erik MG Donor

VERY GOOD SUGGESTIONS... I never once thought about a .cfg modification or something to lock-in desired settings.

7. tank

tank MG Donor

its from one forum:
    Vertical Sync limits your frame rate to the the refresh rate of your monitor to prevent "tearing."
    At high FPS with odd frames you may see the screen split in half with different parts of frames, VSync is there to help eliminate that problem.
    Default is 60 on most monitors so the fps would be limited to 60fps.
    Depending on your monitors capabilities you could go as high as 240(crt monitors only) or 75 for LCD.

You can increase the refresh rate of your monitor in your displays control panel to whatever you would like, the higher it is the less 'flicker' you will physically experience with your eyes(if it affects you at all), and the more FPS you can get with VSync on (depends on your graphics card if it can make that many frames though)

8. erik

erik MG Donor

TreeFifty gave me a SOLUTION to my issue!

Enabling Multicore Rendering SAVES if you make SHADER DETAIL = Medium!

Thanks, Tree!

Koolaid will be happy to see this fix.

9. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

I have a new weird issue:

When I load up L4D2, the opening movie and the background in the main menu stutters. But when I play the actual game is it fine - however - if I Alt + Tab out then back into L4D2, the actual game now stutters too. I can fix this by changing the video options thus causing the game to refresh itself (eg. change from 8xCSAA to 4XMSAA).

This has happened since I installed the newest Nvidia drivers. My hardware is fine (i7 3630QM, 2x GT650M in SLI, 8GB DDR3).

10. erik

erik MG Donor

Right, with your new computer.

Arent 8xCSAA/4XMSAA anti-aliasing settings?

11. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

Yes hun

12. Angel

Angel MG Donor

The links I posted had the same thing in one of them, if you even bothered to check them.

13. erik

erik MG Donor

[​IMG]