1. Click here to join our community discord server.

How To: Making A Spray (7-Step Process)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by erik, May 17, 2013.

1. erik

erik MG Donor

The easiest way is to use VTFEdit.

Frequently, people fulfill the Spray Image Requirements (256 x 256 pixels, image file type,) and still get the error: Image is Corrupted.

We all know those images aren't corrupted. So, let's convert it with that program into a more "Steam-friendly" .VTF file.

1.) Download & Install VTFEdit from this link. Use all default installation options.

http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/files/files/vtfedit125-11.exe

2.) If it doesn't install properly, run WindowsUpdate until it installs the prerequisites (.NETfx 1.1.)

3.) Open VTFEdit. Choose "File," "Import," then choose the actual picture you want to use.

4.) In the pop-up box, make sure "Clamp Image To" 256 x 256 is populated.

5.) Click "File," "Save As," and rename the file. It will be saved as a .VTF.

6.) Open your game. "Import" the desired spray.

7.) CHECK: Options / Keyboard & Mouse... and verify "T" or your desired key is bound as the spray command.

***USING AN ANIMATED .GIF IS A SLIGHTLY DIFF. PROCESS; IF YOU WANT THAT, I CAN WRITE A QUICK TUTORIAL ON IT AS WELL.***

I would have recorded a video tutorial but the only screen recording software I have is FRAPS. FRAPS saves shit as unreasonably large file sizes. If anyone knows of any trial or free video recording/streaming software, let me know, and I'll make a video tutorial.

2. HighVolt@ge

HighVolt@ge Senior Member

3. Steph

Steph Game Server Moderator

You're right, animated sprays are a bit more complicated.

ANIMATED SPRAY GUIDE
    You need two tools for this. VTFEdit and GIFSplitter
    1. Create a new empty folder on desktop
    2. Open GIFSplitter
    3. Click Input and select the animated gif
    4. Click split now then exit GIFSplitter
    5. Open VTFEdit
    6. Click on file, drop down menu to Import
    7. Browse to your empty folder that contains the frames of your GIF
    8. Highlight all the frames of the GIF then click open
    9. Settings:
    • Normal format = DXT1
    • Alpha format = DXT 5
    • texture Type = Animated Texture
    • Resize Method = Nearest Power Of 2
    • Resize Filter = triangle
    • Sharpen Filter = None
    • Clamp = Check It On
    • Max Width = 256
    • Max Height = 256
    10. Click ok and the image shows up in the gray box. Hit Play on the left :)
    11. Save as, name your file and put the vtf in the spray folder (may be located elsewhere for some users):
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\Sprays
    12. Load up L4D2 and click options then multiplayer
    13. Click SprayPaint Image and on the list click Custom Logo you should get a popup with all your sprays there, but if not, browse to your spray folder, select file. If you still can't do it that way you can use the Import spray option and browse to the spray folder
    14. Hit done and there you have it. Click T (or your personal spray button) to spray on the wall in game and tada!