1. Click here to join our community discord server.

How to fix Buffer Overflow Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LEGEND, Aug 3, 2011.

1. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

1. Determine whether you're playing on a server with alot of mic's being used (i.e Helm's Deep)
    2. In console type: rate 25000
    3. If that does not work lower or raise your rate. Max reasonable rate is 50000. Preferably keep it less than 30000. 20-30000 will work fine.
    4. It's a trial end error process; as stated, lower/raise your rates.

Side info about this error. "The message usually happens when the choke rate goes over 250. If you wanna check the choke rate. Type net_graph 3 in console. Choke is listed and it's size. Talking in Mics increases the choke rate. More people talking, higher choke rate. Too much people talking, server crash. Raising the rates solves this problem although raising it too high will cause data to be missed and result in massive lag on your game."

2. Grinder

Grinder MG Donor

I heared disbaling voice should also help.
    Well, I tried that once and if I remember correctly I still got the buffer overflow.
    But maybe it was just the server itself that was collapsing anyway.

Grinder

3. The Real Youngblood

The Real Youngblood Game Server Moderator

I know Bonekeep is thinking about me after reading this! I swear I don't talk alot while playing....really...well maybe just a little. I guess I'll have to stop singing. This is very good information Legend, thanks. It happens a bit on VI USA so we'll be able to let people know how to fix it.

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Senior Member

I don't think that your choke rate can increase with voice chat disabled.