1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Help With Video Card Problem Please

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stoned, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

Hello Guyzsz,

Alright, so I got a new, nicer monitor, and it has 2 slots in the back. One for the DVI cable, and one for the VGA cable. When I plugged JUST the DVI cable into the good and better video card, my monitor gets stuck in the analog feature check thing and it's a box with red blue white... and something else that I forgot, and I can't get out of it UNTIL I plug the VGA cable in as well. Then, if I DON'T plug in the DVI and JUST plug in the VGA cable into the crappy card, it's fine, but I don't want that because I can't play Call of Duty, or l4d2!!!

Question: How do I fix this so I am able to use the good video card instead of the crappy video card that came with my computer?

Thank you, thank you, and thank you.... ?unless this isn't solved...

2. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

As far as i know, you have to put the DVI to slot 0, in other words: the left upper DVI slot (let's say you have 2 video cards with 4 dvi slots).. Always the left and uppset slot that is found in either one of your video cards.. (Do not plug the DVI to motherboard slot, even if there is one).

3. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

Do you have 2 different brand vid cards in your PC or are you swapping the card in/out of the computer to test?

4. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

I have a crappy card and my good card in my computer. I'm currently using the crappy card with the VGA plug, and that's not what I want. I want to use the good card, but when I plug in the DVI plug into the good card, it gets stuck in analog feature check, so I can't use my computer when I have the DVI plugged into it. Right now I'm using the crap card.

5. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

So you have both cards plugged in at the same time?

6. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

No, the VGA's plugged in currently.

7. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

There is alot of stuff to try, I don't know how far you've gone..

Has the DVI card ever worked in your configuration?
    Do you know for sure the other Video card is good? Have you tested it in another PC?
    Do you know for sure the Monitor's DVI input is good?
    Did you check all of the display properties in windows with the dvi card installed.
    Try the DVI output on the dvi card, but use a DVI to VGA adapter, check the results.

8. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

1. It actually worked on my older monitor and my new monitor, which I'm currently using. When it worked on the old monitor, it sometimes got stuck in power save mode, so I switched monitors, and then power save mode happened to this again. Then I switched back and my video card didn't work.

2. Yeah, it's worked before, just dunno wtf happened.

3. Yeah, the DVI cable's in pretty secure.

4. Well I checked device manager and all I have under 'display adaptors' is intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family. That's the crappy card which can't handle any of my games, and the one I'm using, and the one which I don't want.

5. I've tried that, same results, analog feature check.

9. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

does the monitor work with the VGA adapter?

what OS?
    what Video card?

10. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

Yes, I'm using the VGA cable which is plugged into the crap card.

My video card is radeon hd 4650 which is the good one that doesn't work.

11. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

I was thinking plug in the good card, then use a DVI to VGA adapter and plug into the monitor with the VGA connector

What OS are you using?

edit::
    I thought you got a new card and it is not working since you 1st installed it.

So you had this Video Card working in your current PC and monitor and it just quit working?

12. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

Yeah, that first suggestion doesn't work

I use windows 7 home premium sp1 version 6.1

So you had this Video Card working in your current PC and monitor and it just quit working?

13. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

It sounds like you have a bad video card. Seems like the card has no output.
    The monitor should detect the DVI input and switch to the digital input, which it is not doing.
    The VGA adapter connection is not working either.
    The PCIe slot works with your other crappy card, so the slot on the MOBO is good.
    Win7 is pretty good about configuring new hardware like graphics cards, so I doubt it is a driver/configuration thing.
    I looked up a few HD4650s and the card should have a DVI output, HDMI output, and possibly a VGA output(depening on mfg)
    You could try to hook it up to a HDMI source, like your TV to rule out a problem with just the DVI port.