1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MarksmanR, Feb 1, 2013.

1. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

My Macbook Air just isn't good for gaming, preferably I want:

Windows 8 (or 7)
    GeForce GT 650M or better
    256GB SSD, but could live with 128GB
    6GB+ of DDR3

Price under $2000 if possible, $2500 if it's amazing.

Please help me babes.:cheer2:

2. Checkout the GT60 and GT70 series gaming-notebooks from MSI.
    I think they have some decent notebooks

3. erik

erik MG Donor

I agree with Burial... Can NOT go wrong with an MSI product.

PurplePuppet knows a thing or two, if memory serves.

I was a die-hard ASUS guy up until late last year.

I bought a totally maxed-out, top-of-the-line ASUS G74Sx Republic of Gamer's Edition. Hardware failure. No ability to replace motherboard per manufacturer (ASUS didn't have and couldn't get an ASUS motherboard less than a year after the purchase of my computer lol.) After pulling some teeth out of them, I got a replacement (equal value) and sold the god damn thing.

From what I read and what others who have them tell me, their gaming series is pretty mean.

I would pay attention to the cooling, though. The model that did not work out for me (had I not screwed it up myself) had rear-vent cooling... it was ever-cool. Look-up the model.

The MSI's are certainly no joke, but I've never had a computer before my last one that could run all day as a gaming laptop and never get hot. Just a small thing some may not put as a priority when buying.

Then, there's always the NZXT CRYO-S LX, which I use, and get famous results from.

The link / product you gave looks amazing; same one from our chat... I just know nothing about them. Von Bock, btw, knows a LOT about custom gaming hardware; depending on which way you go, he knows some essential gear you'll need.

4. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Make sure you get 256 GB SSD if you get one..

128 GB is way too small even for common usage..

5. Raised in Hell

Raised in Hell Senior Member

Yup, 128 GB may seem enough but it isn't and you realize that after you install your OS, few apps like Adobe package, few downloads and memory eating games like BF3 which is taking 33.2 GB space on it's own. Also you will get 119 GB, not 128 GB and since you are likely to use your laptop for school/work, which will also require some space. Personally I don't like laptops for gaming because you don't get what you pay for, but maybe your in college so that's your best option for gaming.

6. Cunner

Cunner MG Donor

I am on my 2nd ASUS in 3 years, many problems with both! just to let you know. I won't buy one again!

just a little info from me, if it helps? :yo:

7. Hey Koolaid

Hey Koolaid Head Administrator

Cyberpowerpc.com you can custom build a laptop there. I made a configuration for under 1500 and it was pretty sweet. They have a sale going on for a day or 2 more I believe and you can get a free visa gift card worth 50$ its a good place to start and you can build to what you want easy! Hope it helps