1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dropping non-steam support.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by marvel, Oct 7, 2010.

1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

With the coming of the sacrifice and the really low prices now on both l4d1 and 2 (EUR 6.70 for one, EUR 10 for both copies) we think it's almost unethical to keep supporting non-steam players.

That's why l4d2 is now fully steam only already. L4D1 will still be non-steam as well for now but that will change later as well when we are done re-organizing the servers.

2. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

Re: Dropping non-steam support.

i would say l4d 2 are our better end servers, and most of the pirates are just cheaters, we shale see alot more better and frendly game play from with in the servers now =D

3. IronWarrior

IronWarrior MG Donor

Hmm, you allow none-steam players in the server? I wasn't aware that was possible.

I personally would say frag them. L4D and L4D2 have been on so many sales now for everyone to have a good chance to buy it.

4. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

I don't really like to talk about this. But i think it's something really really positive :).

5. EndOfTime

EndOfTime Member

I'm in different when it comes to this. I know there are a few regulars that haven't bought the game. But I'm waiting to see how many of them buy it now that its on its super sale. On a personal note, the only reason I am where I am today with you guys is because I played the cracked version to start and you where the best servers that I could find. Can't really say that I want non-steam support but at the same time there's the chance to meet and play with some really good people that just can't or won't buy the game.

6. zupersniper

zupersniper Banned

ah thats why i couldn't connect ;)
    well i'm on non-steam and certainly no cheater, and i think most gamers use non-steam.
    btw that dual pack costs 29,99 on steam

7. marvel

Yes, it's 29,99 again now but it has been on sale 3 days long for just 10 bucks.

Another problem of non-steam is that you can't ban cheaters, sure you can ban their IP but they usually have a dynamic one. They just pick a new Steam ID and can join again.

Another problem is that non-steam ID's can be the ID of a legit player, so the non-steamer can ruin the other players statistics.

Sure, it will cost us some players but I don't think it will be that bad.

8. HonorCode

I think it would be a good idea to leave atleast one non-steam server. It could be.

9. vinith

vinith Junior Member

Even i miss playing on the servers as I use non steam..Im ready to buy the game since there is no other option for all non-steam players, but i have a question(this may sound silly) ,do we have to pay any monthly fee to steam for playing L4D2...and if at all then how much??

10. Kalei

Kalei Guest

No monthly fee. Just buy it and you can play 24/7 without further cost

11. Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell Senior Member

steam is completely free, it;s just like xfire kind of, but different :)

12. vinith

vinith Junior Member

But I thought steam will charge some monthly fees for some games.

13. marvel

No, only for MMORPG's. And it's not steam charging for that but the game studio.

14. vinith

vinith Junior Member

ahh ok thnx for the info.,and 1 last thing can i buy the original game elsewhere and still enjoy all steam features??

15. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

Yeah you can, but right now it would be best to get it from steam because it's so cheap.

16. Re: Dropping non-steam support.

Hello all :mrgreen:

As he so aptly Kaleidoscope, you have no subscription or fees to pay and you can play as you see fit (24h/24, 7d/7) :P

The pack (left 1 and 2) is at 19

17. joerve

joerve Senior Member

I think thats not a good idea with the above mentioned concerns, especially with the L4D-Mania.RU case. They can do what they want and get away with it. Thats not a right signal to give to honest and behaving players. Besides, plenty of players now with steam

18. HonorCode

Well, after those spammers i completely changed my mind :P.

19. marvel

Yep, I'm glad we dropped support for it. I got some complains from people that told me that I left them in the cold and that they didn't have money to buy the game which made me doubt my decision for a while but it's such a relief now to get rid of all the hackers, cheaters, spammers etc.

I know the servers have been less full now, especially during off-peak hours they're usually pretty empty. I can also see that a lot of people have moved to other non-steam servers like the ones from Visual and he's nr. 1 and 2 now on gametracker listing, but I don't think the server ranking should be a goal anyway.

20. joerve

joerve Senior Member

didnt have the money, or didnt want to spend money on it is the question.

My guess is, it is the last one. I think its still pretty full here from like 3 pm to 3 am.

Yesterday 2 am, it was full as hell, and hell is pretty full place, with all the lawyers and brokers.