1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Does ur L4D2 minimize by accidentally pressing the wrong key?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by erik, Sep 2, 2012.

1. erik

erik MG Donor

This always caused issues when in-game and simply by hitting a key I didn't want to (the Windows Key, right next to my space bar.)

I found some FreeWare that is incredibly easy to use. KeyTweak 2.3.0.

Screenshot of usage: (download link at the bottom)

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/Mutt_Cutts/KeyTweak.png

You simply use an on-screen keyboard, choose the key you want changed (remapped,) click the new location of it, make sure to click the button "Remap Key," then immediately restart Windows when prompted.

It's a safe 3-step process that's MUCH SAFER than messing with the Registry directly and you can even "revert" or "apply to default" / changes you made with the software. It's also a small download site.

Hopefully this software comes in handy for someone out there who had the same problem as me.

Download:

http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

It's suitable for Windows 7.

2. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

Nice find Erik i think i will be using that as i do that all the time due to my talk button being right next to the windows one.

3. erik

erik MG Donor

Actually, I looked around and you can actually save entire configurations of remapped keys.

Perfect for gamers.

You can save it to a flash, also, if you're one who has to reformat a lot or if you're planning to re-install Windows.

Easy to re-download or you can save the tiny .exe setup file.

4. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

I want to remap the left mouse click to:
    Hold G + O then press 5 on the number pad
    this way I have to be really sure if I want to shoot a zombie.

5. Chocobo

Chocobo <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

Solution:

[​IMG]

6. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

7. Chocobo

Chocobo <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

8. WeeJocky

WeeJocky Game Server Moderator

I play in borderless window mode so it's easy to quickly tab back in anyway. (very usefull if you don't like using the steam browser)

9. erik

erik MG Donor

lol; good luck to you with those "fix it's."

Last I checked, they were really setting the world on fire with their "Fix-It's." One, even, manipulated the GEARAspi.WDM (upper filters) registry entry for a DVD player, having been part of their "My DVD Drive Can't..." fixes. PxHelp20 or PxHelp20.sys is the lower filter. Usually, when 3rd party software like iTunes or whateever is installed, it causes the DVD drive to disappear. Their catch-all "fix it" simply deletes the registry entries altogether and tries to teach a layman hwo to backup/export registry hives. Yikes! Just one example of a smple situation screwed up by their all-in-one solutions. That's not even a guarantee it'll work in that example.

By having generic catch-all .msi's (standalone installers,) you could inadvertently cross wires. Bad ones.

Granted, with something so simple as disabling a key, you won't, but it's a matter of right & wrong.

The program takes 20 seconds or less to download on LAN access / 15 seconds to apply and 20 or so to restart if you have a semi-decent comptuer.

Granted, I may write a preamble or dissertation to explain something simple in the effort all can understand it, but that doesn't m ean it's complicated.

Good luck w/ your "fix it's."

I still say stick w/ what works; the shortest, smallest, simplest solution.

10. erik

erik MG Donor

I have problems w/ SteamBrowser; Especially when I get pop-out messages on MGFTW.com, or have to log into sites that have other pop-up or pop-out style interfaces.

Can you explain borderless window mode better? Never used it.

11. erik

erik MG Donor

Dude you joke, but I actually did that at one point a long time ago. lol archaic, I know, but what can one do sometimes.

12. Raised in Hell

Raised in Hell Senior Member

Just play the game in window mode/ full screen and if someone is silly enough to minimize the game then just alt/tab back into the game straight away..

13. WeeJocky

WeeJocky Game Server Moderator

It kind of means that the game runs as most other programs, like your browser; in a window that can be tabbed in and out of much faster than normal. Borderless means that it still appears to run as it would in full screen mode (you might have to use native resolution - not sure though) with no visible task bar. It uses more resources so you might take a fps hit with a weaker system.

I use it all the time so I can easily tab in and out of FF and winamp. Also if you do accidently hit the Windows key you can tab back in or click back in (depending on other programs, you can still see L4D2 in place of the desktop)

To enable it in L4D2 just go to options>video and change from full screen to windowed (borderless). And don't try using it during a loading screen, it tends to lag out.

14. erik

erik MG Donor

Thanks m8

Just thought I'd follow this up with this link...

Helped me out a ton.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675769