1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Custom Made Wallpapers --- Suggestions please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrazyRabbit, Aug 8, 2012.

1. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Okay, so I'm trying out this Source Film Maker program and learning to pose and render stuff.

Here is my first custom wallpaper render..

View attachment 1800

Download link for 1920x1080 wallpaper: http://www.mediafire.com/?5cg755az0awnrlw

Yes, that's Coach about to "choke" Ellis in the background. I thought to myself that maybe I can increase my skill with posing by making some custom renders for you guys!

Tell me your suggestions and I will see what I can do. I can also do TF2 renders, but I would rather make L4D2 ones. I can also use the same character more than once.

Oh, I also only have that one room (hotel saferoom, Dead Center map 1) from L4D2 at the moment, but if you want a certain part of a map like the gunshop or something, I can try and export that over too but it will have to be kept small as I'm not sure the limits of the SFM yet.

As soon as I'm good at posing, maybe I will move onto animating them into movies.

Cheers, CR.

2. erik

erik MG Donor

Bill hanging off a ledge

3. CrazyRabbit

4. FaRCrY

FaRCrY MG Donor

Nice I love it :D

5. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Not sure if this is too hard, but some wallpaper where the all l4d1 and l4d2 survivors are having hard time with zombies together and helping each others..

for example, for ellis, he looks up and hunter leaps straight to him..

You know, a wallpaper with alot of action and some zombies too lol :P

Also, u could include something that demostrates the bonds between l4d1 and l4d2 survivors in the wallpaper, like bill helping coach.

6. CrazyRabbit

I'll have to check if I can get the L4D1 survivors to work. Valve hasn't officially released them the same as they did the L4D2 survivors. I know almost exactly what you'd like to see, so I will work on it after work.

If I get the L4D1 survivors working, I'll do Bill hanging off a ledge.

7. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

These are great :D I would love to see a cool movie made from this!

8. CrazyRabbit

I'll work on a movie later, maybe when Valve releases more options for L4D2.

Currently I'm having to strip from the l4d2 maps the stuff SFM Hammer can't load (most of the l4d2 entities, save for props and entities that Orange Box SDK can handle). Then I can compile them inside SFM SDK and load the BSP inside SFM. That small saferoom took about 1hr to get working and some props didn't quite work, so had to be deleted and BSP made again... rinse and repeat.

That's why I ask for only small sections of a particular map be asked for in the render, rather than a whole map. Think of it like a scene from a movie where you freeze frame it, that's all that needs to be put inside the map file so it's actually quite a small area compared to the whole map.

I'll test out some more of the L4D2 props inside SFM and see what I can and can't use. If it's a prop baked into the BSP then it's not a problem, but when it comes to adding models to SFM for posing purposes (like a SI), then it might be a problem cos they're not made for SFM yet.

9. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

I used your wallpaper for the next HC release's background. Hope you don't mind, and I credited ofc :) Thanks!

10. CrazyRabbit

11. CrazyRabbit

I managed to get the No Mercy Apartments (Map 1) imported into SFM. Now I can make some cool screenshots from that entire map. So, if you have any cool ideas, let me know.

Assets I can use now:
    No Mercy Apartments (Map 1)
    All Special Infected
    A few Commons that aren't bugged
    Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 Survivors (I finally managed to get the L4D1 survivors working)
    All the weapons

I think I can now make that Bill hanging off a ledge image! Unfortunately I can't use the Particles from L4D for some reason, but I can make use of gun effects from TF2 or HL2 if I need too.

12. CrazyRabbit

[removed]

See the next one down, it's much better I think.

13. erik

erik MG Donor

Dude bill... hanging off a ledge... my signature quotes/vocalizations... TY so much.

My new desktop wallpaper.

"Don't be an ass, francis"

14. Don Juliano

Don Juliano Banned

this is the real erik....
    [​IMG]

15. erik

erik MG Donor

Well, I did recently say "I'm hanging off a ledge... FOR REAL..." and no one believed me. lol.

16. erik

erik MG Donor

Suggestion for wallpaper? How about a L4D2 Windows Theme***? Possible?

17. CrazyRabbit

Wha? Can you explain more?

18. e36

e36 MG Donor

lol

19. CrazyRabbit

I just learnt "The Rule of Thirds/Thumb" that is applied to photography. I'm going to remake that ledge hanging one so that it looks more appealing using that guideline and maybe add a Tank to the street below :D

20. CrazyRabbit

New Version.

This one is using a Focal Distance and Aperture setting on the camera, as well as the newly learnt "Rule of Thirds". I'm no photography student so I won't judge it myself, but if you are good at photography then maybe you can offer some hints or tips.

I think that maybe the Tank could be a bit blurrier to give it the depth it deserves since the height of the building is actually higher than this looks. (Location: No Mercy Apartments spawn rooftop looking down at the street). I need to fix the jaggy's on Bill's hands, but otherwise I think it came out pretty good.

[​IMG]

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?0dw68re2wycmw4g (1MB File: 7zip Image: PNG 1920x1080)