1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Connection problems guide (Must read before asking for support!)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by marvel, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

There seem to be some connection issues for some people. I've been getting a lot of enquiries to whitelists IP addresses, unblock IPs, or people that have issues connecting to some or all servers. The problem with this is that most reports are pretty vague. Usually people don't even tell me which server it is they have problems connecting to and I have to pull all the information from them which takes a lot of time and effort.

So that's why I created this guide, this guide is what you should do per location if you can't connect. Since we have 4 locations over the world any connection issue on each location can be different.

US East (Chicago)

Cause:

If you have issues connecting to Chicago it's usually because the IP has been blackholed due to a large Denial of Service (DDoS) attack.

The problem with this location is that the Sourcebans website is in the same network so it does show online on Sourcebans, however you can tell it's not connecting because the VAC (shield) icon is missing left from the server name. This means nobody can connect.

Resolution:

You don't have to do anything. The blackhole will be lifted once the attack is over. This can be 5 minutes, this can be 2 days. Usually if it takes too long we'll change the IP address to a non-blackholed IP.

US West (Los Angeles)

Cause: False positive ban from the DDoS filter.

During play it might happen the system recognizes the player as a zombie bot attacking the system and the player's IP gets banned.

Resolution:

Please pm me your IP address and I'll have the host whitelist it and adjust security to minimize false positives detection. Look on www.whatismyip.com to find your IP address and don't use ipconfig because some people keep sending me private Lan addresses!

If you don't do anything your IP will be auto unbanned after 48 hours.

EU (France)

So far no connection issues have been detected on this server. If you do have issues please report. This server is experimental and only runs EU COOP #2 for now.

EU (Italy)

This is the same as US West, if you can't connect pm me your IP address to have it whitelisted.

Update: I talked to the host about some IPs getting blocked, it seems that during an attack all Chinese IP addresses are blocked. This is because most zombie PCs that execute these attacks come from China so if you have a Chinese IP at this time you can't join our EU Milan server unfortunately. You can however, join our experimental French server which doesn't have this restriction.

Connection problem reporting:

If you PM connection problems to me please include the following information:

- What server or servers? Be server specific not location specific!
    - Include your IP address: Find it on www.whatismyip.com

THIS TOPIC WILL BE LOCKED FOR REPLIES, ONLY USE PM TO REPORT PROBLEMS.

2. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Update on Italy location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.