1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Computer Crash Problem?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stoned, May 12, 2012.

1. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

Hello!!!

Well I fixed my video card problem... and now when I play l4d2 for like 5ish minutes, my computer suddenly crashes, then freezes, and my monitor goes black. Then when I try to turn it off and back on, sometimes it would crash multiple times before I even get to my desktop. If any of you know how to fix this, then that would be splendid.

Additional Details:

I use a DELL monitor - My monitor works fine, and no problems.
    I use a Radeon 4650 series video card - Not sure if this is causing the problem or not because it's worked fine before...

Ever since I got MW3, after about a week of playing it, this crashing started happening, and now it's happening to l4d2.

EDIT: It also doesn't crash on cod4 no matter how long I play for.

2. HighVolt@ge

HighVolt@ge Senior Member

sounds like the card is overheating. I would pull it out an clean/inspect it(go ahead an clean out the cpu fan while your in there...). i would also do a clean install of graffix drivers.

3. Miracle470

Miracle470 Member

try and download speedfan its free and ck the temp of ur pc while ideal and while in game and u ll see
    my pc,s temp while ideal 75 and while gaming 99 -.-
    but still able to last for few hours befor crashing

4. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

What was the fix for the video card?

5. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

I recently cleaned the video card and I took off the side of my computer, so now I can see the inside. I also did that so it would stop overheating.

@Beasty Ribs
    I took it out and put it back in lol

6. jtork

jtork Senior Member

sounds like it, mine does kind of the same thing during summer, make sure your cables arent on the way of the fans airflow or just open up the side cover to let in fresh air..I bought a dual dedicated fan to help cool my GPU during summer and seems to help

but it could also be the memory - it's just a process of elimination

7. WeeJocky

WeeJocky Game Server Moderator

Do make sure that the card's built in fan is still running; I had an old card where it's fan stopped, without it the card would overheat very quickly.

8. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

Yep, the fans are running properly. And Jtork, my side cover is off at the moment.

9. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

Look in the Win7 Event Viewer to see if it captured the failure.

10. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

Yeah it is best to buy a GPU with non-reference-design cooling, eg:

Stock GTX 680:
    [​IMG]

Gigabyte's own design:
    [​IMG]

11. jtork

jtork Senior Member

well if you're still having the problem after trying some of the above , try software updates for the GPU, or if you did try rolling it back etc ... try looking into your windows update and see what installes you made around when you 1st started having the problems, remove it and see if that helps etc ...

12. tank

tank MG Donor

Its not best, 'cose then he need new motherboard, new RAM and new stronger power supply to use that card and soon can be quite expensive. :D

Stoned you should say more about your pc, its not important monitor,
    processor?
    Ram?
    DDR2-DDR3?
    power supply?
    And most important is your pc clean? I have litt better video card but last week chrashed often then checked pc and it was full of some spyware shit.

Here is 4650 for laptops and have litt lower fps then pc version,
    see for fps when gaming on end of page:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4650.13883.0.html

13. jtork

jtork Senior Member

if it's full of spyware and stuff - spyblaster and spybot and search and destroy are two free programs to help you clean up those crappy stuff

chk your msconfig and see what's running on your background