1. Click here to join our community discord server.

un-fucking beliveable ........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SuperBunny, Jul 20, 2010.

1. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

Valve: Pirates Are Underserved Customers

Software pirates are the bane to the developer

2. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

Re: un-fucking beliveable ........

i can not belive that they let people pirate steam games as they think they will buy the game. why ever buy a steam game again

3. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

I think they are right. I mean, I bought the game didn't I? (L4D and L4D2) I played pirated versions too of L4D1 in the past, then I wanted more features and I bought it.

Look at Unreal Tournament GOTY. That game was such a big hit because it was so easy to play the pirated version (same features as buying customers) which made a lot of people buy it out of respect for the great game and its developers and then it got GOTY.

Valve has a clear and modern view on this unlike any other game studio. Look at Ubisoft with their DRM. It made me not buy the game I wanted to buy (Assassins Creed 2) and pirated gamers can just play it without paying anything. Buying players need an internet connection and can't play when the Ubisoft servers have problems.

Same happend to me with Bad Company 2. I payed 60 euro's for it and couldn't play it because of the many bugs that we're in it. Lobby's didnt work, punkbuster kicked me out etc. and again, pirated players had no difficulties at all.

The game studio's are killing PC gaming, not the pirates. Besides that, everybody I know has a hacked XboX so the idea that the console scene is pirate free is long gone.

4. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

I dont know if its 110% true steam not saying it is or is now lol

5. Ricox

Ricox Member

That is so true. Assassin's Creed II lost popularity due to the DRM, which was cracked just 2 months after the release. Most of the time pirates get games just to "test them", so they can see if it's worth buying it. It's like a demo with full singleplayer features (thought in some games you literally get the same as the paying customers).

And PunkBuster problems can always be solved by sumbitting a ticket at http://www.evenbalance.com/, they have helped me tons of times to fix various PunkBuster problems. Also a common solution to avoid getting kicked by PB for illegal program is turning off Steam and running the game thru .exe, it allows to do it for example COD4. PB somewhy considers Steam to be illegal program, rofl.

6. marvel

@Ricox,

Yes, I was one of the ppl always testing a cracked version first to see if I like the game but I couldn't get BC2 working so I figured oh well I just buy it. And then it didn't work either lol.

If I buy it on steam it should work out of the box after installing it. The problems they had with BC2 and punkbuster could have been fixed before the release. Now they lose customers because of it and they always blame piracy and say, ok let's move to the console and stop developing for PC.

Good thing that there are still good game studio's like Valve and the maker of Mafia 2 (take two I think?). I was a big Ubisoft fan before but they lost all their credits with me.

7. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

for not being kicked from bf2, bc2 ect, u have to turn off in game steam, thats why PB kicks you

8. Ricox

Ricox Member

Ubisoft has actually terrible customer support. I bought Farcry 2 and regretted it for the rest of my life. The customer support responses were more like automatical or the customer support worker was brainwashed or ordered to give some kind of 3 different responses.

9. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

Really if there was not pirateing, the will be no edded for all the extra clients, or needeing a internet connection to play on line.

MY worst ever case was with BioShock one. i just could not actervate my game, because there servers was "too over loaded" as they said, i had to crack my own game to play it LOL.

but yea i do also pirate games as if they where demos, it gives you the real feel of the game, but if you like something, buy it ;)

10. marvel

You say it right, if you like it buy it. But most games are just not worth buying and it's very easy to blame piracy for a game that's unsuccessful.