1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Steam Password E-mails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TastyFish, Oct 25, 2014.

1. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

I have noticed I get more e-mails from Steam related to resetting my password. They do appear legitimate, however I am not the one resetting my password. I am still able to log in just fine.

I am guessing this is some outside source that is trying to hack into accounts and sending out password resets to see what they can get a hold of? I already changed my password a couple months back. Is the best thing just to ignore these e-mails?

I am also going to start using 2-step verification on the e-mail assigned to my account. I changed my e-mail password back when the heartbleed bug came about.

2. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

3 possibilities

1. You're using several different devices to log into your account and some device requests you to change ur password (there would be huge notification).

2. The email source is fraud and the link leads to a scam site or to a real site after going through scam site first (redirect).

3. Someone is spamming the password reset request to try out things in order to take over your account or just to scare you.

As long as it's only this much i wouldn't be too much worried, since he cannot access your steam account or your email account. even if he had passwords to both of them, he couldn't still access those accounts since for steam, you have steam guardian which requires email confirmation and for email (gmail i assume) you have phone txt msg verification which he obviously can't see since the phone is on your hands.

3. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, you can safely ignore them. Just make sure you have Steam Guard on and you'll be fine.

I use two-factor authentication on my email too, but that's more optional.

4. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

Yeah, I am only logged in to one computer at a time. I know if I try to open on computer 2 then it prompts me saying my account is open on another machine. The e-mail looks like the one where I requested to reset my password. It is the "[email protected]" or something like that. I have different passwords for everything so that also helps.

Thanks for the advice.

5. erik

erik MG Donor

If you don't already, use "full headers" view of emails to determine if the source is, in fact, fraudulent. Forward a copy to Steam for investigation and make sure you copy/paste the full headers area.

Every little bit counts and it's a really, really low and cunty move to attempt to hijack someone's gaming account.