1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Singapore server down

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by marvel, Aug 4, 2015.

1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Hi all,

Seems like the SIN server is down for more than a day now. This is because of a constant stream of DDoS traffic aimed at that server. It will come back by itself once the attack stops, there's not much we can do about it but I wanted to inform you anyway.

Feel free to join EU or US which are adequate protected.

2. marvel

Hi all,

There's an update on the situation. At this point the hoster asked us nicely to leave because the ddos attacks are affecting their uptime. The attacks are almost 24/7 right now so it's not worth it anyway to keep paying for the server when it's always down.

For now please join EU or US which are protected. There won't be any asia region server coming back soon.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.

3. fnord

fnord Game Server Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Marvel, damn kids and their Internet tomfoolery!

4. ChooChoo

ChooChoo Head Administrator Staff Member

We need a fitting song.

[video=youtube;ILVfzx5Pe-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILVfzx5Pe-A[/video]

do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do... but yeah, it sucks that asia PR had to go away. :c

5. WeepingInuit

WeepingInuit Junior Member

Will the server eventually go back up?
    If so, when is the estimated time that it will?

6. marvel

Never say never but I wouldn't count on it this year. We can't keep a server running that is under (probably automatic) DDoS 24/7.

If it wasn't for OVH we wouldn't be hosting anything for the last couple of years.

7. WeepingInuit

WeepingInuit Junior Member

So a different server provider isn't an option?

8. marvel

No because it would be ddossed within 5 minutes after the first player joins ;)

9. zodiac

zodiac Junior Member

It's a real bummer :Cry: Out of curiosity, what's stopping DDOS attacks on the US/EU servers?

10. marvel

OVH's anti-ddos. It has a capacity of I believe up to 500 gbps. It's never needed though, just its existence is enough because usually the attackers try for 5 minutes then notices it's just a waste of his resources and gives up. It's pretty amazing technology.

11. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

If and when OVH decides expand into Asia, we could get a long term server from there. (I would even fund it myself) :)

12. marvel

There were rumors last year they were opening DC's in Germany and Asia. It would be awesome to have their VAC anti-ddos in Asia as well, I'm sure they would get a lot of customers.

13. erik

erik MG Donor

It's a shame we can't find a host in that region who is reasonable/diligent enough to give us what we come to expect anywhere else.

I'm hoping they come to the Asia region, also, OVH that is. It would be more simple, it would be less work in general, and the gamers would not have to keep up with frequent IP changes.

Obviously, more consistency on our end means more people on the servers at all hours.

Not for nothin but I wish this stuff was negotiable, I'd just call them and not leave them alone until we got better service lol

14. zodiac

zodiac Junior Member

What kind of hosting hardware requirements do the L4D2 servers have? Are you renting dedicated vanilla server space, or using a specific game server?

15. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

L4D Dosent need alot but PR servers need minium xeon E3 and 16GB RAM.

Were renting dedicated machines. After that we install them ourselves